Urology Expert Forum
Bladder neck surgery

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Bladder neck surgery

I had bladder neck surgery when I was 2 years old, because I was having difficulty passing urine,  as a consequence I now experience retrograde ejaculation. I imagine I feel the same experience in terms of an orgasm,except that my sperm goes back into the bladder. This makes for a less messy sexual experience,but is not great for the male ego. It also is a bit uncomfortable if I have a full bladder.
  I am now 35 and have gone to the urologists over the years and they say it could be reversed, but obviously not risk free. There is small chance of incontinence or at the worst impotence.
  Do you have any knowledge of men in my situation that have had reconstructive surgery and if so, what are the success rates?
  Thank you,
  Michael

_
Dear Michael,
The condition you describe is called retrograde ejaculation. The fluid from the prostate and ejaculatory ducts  are normally deposited in the back of the urethra during ejaculation . The bladder neck is closed at this time.  This fluid is then expelled out through the penis through the rhythmic contractions of the urethra. Retrograde ejaculation occurs when surgery to the bladder neck alters its function in such a way that it remains open during ejaculation.
Most often, retrograde ejaculation due to surgery is not responsive to treatment with medicines. Drugs such as phenylpropanolamine, ephedrine (Sudafed) and pseudoephedrine can be used. If this fails, then you still may have children with some assistance from fertility specialists. The sperm can be recovered from your urine or taken directly from your testicle and intrauterine insemination can be performed
Most men with retrograde ejaculation have normal orgasmic sensation. I don