Urology Community
Bladder not fully emptying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bladder not fully emptying

I had a bladder ultrasound for some pain and found out that my bladder does not empty completely. What does that mean?! What symptoms does this cause and how is this treated?!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There are many causes of incomplete emptying of bladder. These include bladder that does not contract properly, urethral sphincter obstruction, prostatic hyperplasia, urethral stricture, shy bladder syndrome. Neurologic diseases damaging the nerves that supply the bladder, Bladder (detrusor) muscle damage, and drugs used to treat overactive bladder can cause high residual urine and impaired bladder emptying.

I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a urologist and get all these possibilities ruled out.
I sincerely hope that helps. Take c

Thank you. I am working with an urologist, he is the one who ordered the ultrasound. I have another appointment in two weeks. Just wondering what is the next step and what symptoms a bladder that doesn't completely empty would cause?
Hi Bri,
My bladder retains 1/3 of the fluid. It causes me more frequent urination, a little discomfort and the feeling that I still need to empty.  At times, I can roll around while on the toilet and a little more will come out.
There are many reasons why this is happening.  Mine is because I have a prolapsed bladder, urethra spasms and nerve damage from a previous bladder surgery (huge mistake).
I would wait and see what the urologist wants to do. Just didn't want you to feel like you are all alone in this stuff.  Good luck to you, dear.
Weffette
Thank you. What sort of tests did your doctor do to see what the cause was?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The symptoms one has when the bladder is not emptying completely are intermittent flow, straining, a sense of incomplete voiding and hesitancy (a delay between trying to urinate and the flow actually beginning). It may also cause nocturia which is a feeling of urgency to pass urine at night.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.