Urology Community
Bladder sling surgery repair?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bladder sling surgery repair?

I had the Monarc bladder sling surgery a month ago. I am voiding fine, and don't appear to have the stress incontinence anymore; however, I am in constant discomfort since my stitches are still protruding from my vagina. My surgeon says that I have had erosion through the vaginal wall, which is apparently one of the possible complications. I have been told that my options are: excise the piece of the sling that is pushing through my vagina (touted as the least invasive w/fastest recovery time); remove the sling and go back to the original problem of incontinence; excise the protruding piece and replace it with a piece of another sling (?); or  replace the sling. I was leaning toward the excision of the piece of sling (I'm already out of sick days, so time off was a concern), but am now leaning toward a longer-term solution of replacing the sling. My surgeon has deferred to another urogynecologic surgeon w/more experience than she has with repairs. I have made 2 additional appointments w/other urogynecologists for second opinions, but was unable to get in for another 2 weeks. I want to have the repair "yesterday"! All I can do after work is lay on the couch; I want to move on w/my recovery.

After all of this, my question(s) is (are): how common is the bladder sling surgery repair? At what point am I in danger of developing scar tissue from this surgery? Will they be able to remove the entire sling, or is it already embedded in my tissues? Would you recommend waiting (w/discomfort) until I can get in to see the other drs. for 2nd opinions? Or should I just go ahead and schedule the surgery since I'm pretty sure that that's what I want to do anyway?

This discussion is related to surgery Feb. 2003--bladder sling--problems.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

The use of sling procedures dated back a century ago and this has been used extensively for women with urinary incontinence. The use of slings have evolved ( see url below) and so does the improvement and skills that come with successfully completing the procedure. However, sling procedures do bring with them their share of complications . Hematoma and bladder perforations as well as erosions of nearby structures such as the vagina in your case may be expected. It is for this reason, that patients need to be evaluated thoroughly prior to the procedure so that the using he right method is ensured.

At this point, literature compares MONARC sling procedure which is a transobturator suburethral sling procedure with other methods of sling procedure and analysis showed decrease risk of complications for the MONARC procedure (http://pt.wkhealth.com/pt/re/ajog/abstract.00000447-200707000-00002.htm;jsessionid=LDrZ1zTwF2vnhqn7qrZ7JGbGb7NFGGWvrpKNj9dLqclWRtGQrbS5!-1990489359!181195628!8091!-1).

Here is a  suggested reading to help you:

http://www.nature.com/ncpuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ncpuro1052.html

Based on what you have posted, I suggest that you wait for a second opinion with regards to your case. I understand that you may want to have this done with and I can see that your urologist has given you several options to choose from. However, given that this requires another form of intervention and you do require immediate yet long term recovery from the incontinence waiting for a second opinion will be beneficial.

Having the sling excised at this point may be immediate and less invasive. I would opt for a similar procedure. However, it will be comforting and assuring to know that you are actually doing the right thing. Other urologists' opinions will matter at this point.

I had a Monarch sling in 2004. It broke in 2006. I had to have it removed. (they thought it was imbedded, but luckily, it was not) I had it removed in 2006.
I had another Sling put in in 2007. I am now experiencing pain in my right lower abdomen. I thought it was my back, but after physical therapy and much doctoring, I'm more in tune to the pain and it's like it's pulling away from the wall it was attatched to. It is extremely painful. It kicks my Sciatica in, and wreaks havoc with my lower back. I just figured this out. I quit my job because I could no longer lift heavy things, or bend due to the pain. I'm just now getting to the base of it. I had so much all over pain, that pin-pointing was beyond me. But some of that pain has subsided, and low and behold- there's that pain I feel again. It's been happening since the surgery, but I was never able to pin-point it. (I have Fibromyalgia) Pain is usually nothing to me. I'll find out what's going on, soon. Therapist has ordered an MRI. Doc hasn't even gotten it yet.
hi i had the monarc sling procedure last thursday 28/01/10 and hav just had a bath n scratched my stitch off it did not bleed n i am in no discomfort but am really concerned that this wil cause a problem wit the sling. can anyone put my mind at ease please
hi i had a vaginal hysterectomy with a monarch bladder sling, i am 4 weeks postop today.  i have constant pulling and pain on the left side of the groin and abdomen.  i saw my surgeon 2 weeks postop and said that i have to give it to 8weeks.  two days ago i missed a step and hurt myself, went to the ER and was given more pain meds.  how long until you feel normal?  will the pulling and tugging go away? if i have it removed how long is the recovery time? should i wait to see my surgeon in 4 weeks or get a second opinion?
I had bladder sling surgery in 2002.  In 2009, I developed a cystocele and it has been very uncomfortable.  Could it be that the sling has created this cystocele?  If so, what are my options.  I was told when I had the sling surgery that it would probably last only about 5 years.  So, what happens to the mesh sling?
Positive comments here -[ I had the vaginal sling (monarc) just a week ago - I can't believe the difference.  The post-op discomfort was almost negligable, and I have already experienced the bliss of sneezing and coughing without having to cross my legs.  After one week, just started to develop an ache during the night from left groin to left knee, but nothing I haven't had at various times before (advil works fine).  Before going into OR, my OR nurse told me she had the same procedure from same surgeon (surgeon by her request) and it was the best thing she had ever done.  I'm feeling the same way, so far....    
I am interested in what procedure your dr. used. It is nice to hear somne positve comments. I may have to have this surgery and am glad to hear that there aare some good sides to it!
thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm curios- have you had the procedure done yet? I'm at the point you were at when you wrote your post. Wow, all the comments are scaring me, seems like there's so many post-op problems. Do you suppose that the sucessful ones just don't go online and tell about it, or is this just a really unperfected surgery that doesn't turn out well in most cases? After reading all these horror stories, I feel almost like just living with it & all its symptoms. It's better than things poking, pulling imbedding, tearing, falling out, and all the other terrible things that the ladies are describing!! What do you think?
Mortified in Riverbank.
I just saw your post. I've been online the past two days trying to find out possible complications due to the mesh sling surgeries, being that I actually had all 3 kinds of prolapse 2 years ago in April and my bladder is now giving me problems once again. I noticed the problem after intercourse and thought I was developing a bladder infection. I'm now concerned that maybe the sling has shifted and is no longer working correctly. I would suggest researching some other options online before having the surgery. I wish I had because now I may be looking at another surgery to fix the problem and it was not a fun recovery for me to begin with. I think this is such a huge problem for women and needs to be talked about more, and I truly believe that if it was talked about more they could come up with a much better solution than putting a foreign object in us to hold our bladder up. I'm only 31 years old so I had the surgery when I was 29 and it was devastating to me. I have two kids and wanted another one and felt it was taken away from me since I had to have a hysterectomy. I feel like a young person living in an old persons body and sometimes I wish someone had told me this could all happen before I decided to have children. It may have changed my mind about everything in my life.

-nicki, salt lake city, utah-
I had the sling surgery one week ago,I regret it doing it. I'm 37 years old,I leaked everytime I sneezed or cough,but not a lot. When I went to the doctor he told me I needed it. After I read all this information about complications,it's only recommended it for people with severe leaking and I wasn't that person. Now I'm suffering with pain,constipation,going to void every 15 minutes. I'm thinking to have it reversed.
Dont give up. Without it it would have gotten worse.
I am scheduled to have the bladder sling surgery on Monday morning (3/72011) and I am just curious how many women had to go home with a catherder after the surgery?  My ob gyn tells me it is a 10% chance that I will have to self-cath or have a cath in all the time for a few days after the surgery.  Has anyone had to do this?
I am 43, i had a hysterectomy and bladder sling done in 01-2011. I went 4 1/2 weeks, with a catheter and had to self catheter. 5th week my bladder would not void  at all.  I had to have a second surgery to  loosen the sling, my surgeon  ended up taking out the sling. Came home with a catheter and had to catheter for another week. I have extreme pain in left side of vagina and down leg. Went back to work after 8 1/2 weeks off.  And am in constant pain standing.  Now mt dr. tells me i will need another surgery, because my bladder  will be doing the same before this surgery. And tells me the pain is because i am still healing ......... I want my old life back. I was very active and now i can barely walk without pain !   I say DO  NOT GET THIS SURGERY !!.... The leaking when sneezing, and laughing was much more tolerable, than this pain !!
I am 50 and had bladder sling surgery one week ago.  The catheter was
taken out 12 hours after surgery and I had no problems holding on or going to the toilet.  I was scanned each time I emptied my bladder and it was emptying well.  I was up and about the next morning and experienced no
pain at all and would not have even known I had an operation.  I felt normal. The only thing that upset me was the anesthetic as it caused me to vomit afterwards but I was fine by the morning.  I had a mild prolapse before the operation and would leak slightly with coughing and sneezing and intercourse which I wasn't happy with. I decided to have it done before menopause hit me. My mother had the operation too around my age and she was fine up to the day she died 30 years later. I guess it is early days yet and I will see how my checkup goes in six weeks time but so far I am completely happy with my decision.

I was reading your comment today and I agree with you that the successful operations probably aren't posted.  Perhaps the women who are happy with their op get on with life and don't go on the internet looking for problems with this same type of operation.  So far my op went really well though it has been only nearly two weeks since I had it done.  It may have a lot to do with the doctor who does the op.  My doctor specialized in bladder repair and had been doing it for 30 years.  He told me I wont even know I have had it done and so far I agree.  I remember my Mum having this operation and her doctor told her that he is always being called out to aged care homes to help women with their bladders fallen right out and ulcerated and had lived with this problem for years because they were too scared to see a doctor about it to see what could be done.  I dont want to be in that situation.
I had the surgery 2 weeks ago and I am hoping it will get better. I have been having cramping the the pulling sensation mentioned above.
I know 3 women who have had this procedure done and they've had no problems once the healing was complete. I imagine this is the usual case and such women don't need a forum like this one as they've no questions to ask. So don't be too worried if you're due to have this surgery, the chances are you'll be fine! Remember that it's people who need answers who come here and obviously mostly their experiences haven't been as good as others. This forum is very good, many people get answers, but we shouldn't assume that the experiences of people here are typical of the wider community.

Best of luck to all. I should add that I had a hysterectomy almost 30 years ago and once healed up I was fine. I'd had bladder issues and they were gone, I've had no problems since. So you see, not everyone has problems. I should add I only came across this discussion as I was looking up information on minor leaking for my very elderly mother.
Im 30 years old and booked in for Monarc sling procedure in one week. Im a runner who trains every day. I have to stop any fluid intake 3 hours before a run and even then i leak badly. During a race (10km) i wear a pad and Contiform to help stop the leaking by the end the pad in full and my shorts are wet. Im scared to go through with the procedure because if i wasnt a runner i could live with it as its only when i run or jump that i leak. My two children are my life but running is also very important to me. Is there any runners out there that have had the procedure done? Id hate to have it done and im not better off.
  58 yrs old  I had monarch sling 5-2-11 It has been 2 weeks and I am still spotting bright red blood, when will this stop?  
I had the bladder sling put in just over a year ago, I had leakage and then it got to where I could not hold it at all . They said the sling would help. Well I was doing good for a couple months then I started feeling these pains in my right side I have had alot of pain with it also I feel like something is just being pulled apart in side my body on my right lower abdomen.then I started leaking just a little again until a week ago I was at work and I had the urge to go so I started to walk to the bathroom when it just came out. I am only 32 years old I AM TO YOUNG FOR THESE PROBLEMS. I have been told that it can do a lot more damage to u if they try to take the sling out and that sometimes it is already grown in to your tissues and it might just be impossible to get out. I could end up having a bag put in.....I don't know what to do. I wear pads but they can not hold what I am releasing . I do not wanna go to work or shopping or anything because I am afraid of wetting my pants. . I feel like I am at the end of my rope . I guess It is time to start buying diapers. I do not wanna have another surgery done . I have had a hysterectomy when I was 22 and they tact my bladder then and then the sling surgery last April . Is there not anything they can do I mean really? -- DMKOHL

I had the monarch sling procedure done two days ago and so far I cannot empty my bladder will this get better or will I have to self catheterize forever?
I am 44 and I just had this surgery and a partial hystorectomy on Monday.  Everything has gone very well for me so far.  You have to walk in spurts and don't over do it.  My doctor said 4 weeks for a good recovery time and sometimes 6 weeks.  Basically no activity other than walking a little each day to regain strength and get your bowels moving.  That for me was the worst part...my first BM was not pleasant, but am hoping the rest will be better.  For those saying they have issues when releasing the water, if it is after your surgery you have to remember there is swelling in there and that will play a part in that.  I too had that but I am seeing improvement.  I no longer have to lean back to empty my bladder.  Just don't strain or do anything to add stress to that part of your stomach and you should have an easy recovery.
My advise to all women out there is "DON'T DO IT"....
Monarch sling done in spring 2008 when I was 51.  As I was going through menopause the leaking had gotten more a regular thing....guess loss of estrogen/tissue tone.  I took 6 weeks off all excercise, including carrying in groceries (threatening my teen sons with description of the procedure details got me lots of help).  I'm happy with my decision, it's been over 3 years and the only complication I had was a crampy aductor muscle periodically for a couple weeks from the lovely position they put your legs in during the procedure.  I would recommend this procedure, as well as some hip stretching excercises ahead of time...  There are risks with all procedures though!
Now experiencing discomfort and complications from my 2nd Sling surgery. I would search for other solutions as I am no better off that I was prior to the surgeries!
1st surgery resulted in a hemagioma protruding from my vagina and continued incontinence. Will be seeing the doctor in a few days as the 2nd surgery seems to be resulting in the same!
Hi I feel almost the same way.  I got the sling an was to get the hysterectomy as well because of a tumor found in my uterus after a miscarriage (well dnc). My husband and I both have children but non together and truly want another. I am 33 an feel like it's almost hopeless... As to the sling I am just starting my 2nd week day 10. Was basically fine after surgery and got to leave very quickly. My husband and I glanced at the pamphlet my dr gave me a month or two before surgery and all looked great. Seemed quick and recovery was suppose to be simple. Dr even told me then I could go back to work the next 24 hours. And I took care of my father in law in the mornings lifting and tugging. Got out of surgery they said 2 wks. Um ok. The last few days I have had a slight pressure pain an a pain like burning tugging on right side by my stich. Then hard to sit. Now walking tonight hurts and my left side is burning bad!! Just started bleeding looks like possibly a period and some tissue I think. Looked like a little tanish brain. Still hurting an now I feel pressure like I have to poo.  We have my father in laws funeral tomorrow so the last 3 days has been so stressed. I haven't been able to go to the dr. Will call tomorrow after. I so don't want to stress my hubby out more tomorrow. Oh and 3 or 4 days ago I had to get up at 4:30am just to pee. And feel like I have to pee all the time now but it's usually just a little trickle.
Newmoore
I had the Sling procedure three weeks tomorrow. Apart from tiredness due to the anaesethic i have not experenced any side effects at all,

I did not have a catheter inserted at any time, maybe that makes a difference?

My only problem was that apart from taking it easy for a week or two, i wasn't given any instructions regarding having sex/lifting heavy items etc.
Hi there, I had the monarch bladder surgery in July,2011 and it was the best thing I ever did.  I wish I had it done years ago.
I walked out the same way I walked in. I didn't even need any pain meds when I got home. The insides of my legs were a little sore but when you think of the position you are in for this, well that explains it. But not sore enough to take meds.
I took the whole time off work, 6 weeks and enjoyed my summer. i do a lot of lifting and I was not going to   No swimming for the first 4 weeks but the weather sucked here this summer so that worked for me.
I am 52 and feel anyone at any age would get alone well with this and be as happy as I am. So nice going to the gym and being able to jump around like the young ones do!
I had this surgery & I do not regret it; I had to take it easy and not lift for 3 months.  No heavy lifting should be done after this surgery.  I went back
today for 2nd follow up and surgeon said I am heled perfect. So glad
I had this done as regular bladder suspension without sling does not hold
long.  You have to let this surgery completely held.
Has anyone had my issue.  had the monarc sling 5 years ago having had leakage for 2 years.  Generally very successful after got over the initial complications of GA and the surgery.  Now seem to have done some damage I think.  Have a pulling feeling in my groin/vulva area and pressure and wonder what have I done.  Will I need to have another sling or a repair.
I had a hysterectomy in 1995, and a urethral sling and paravaginal repair in 2005.  For the runners out there, the urethral sling completely fixed my stress incontinence issue.  I was a teacher with behaviorally/emotionally disabled kids, and had to run, wrestle, lean exercise sessions, etc.  I now work with dogs, and do hard physical labor and exercise every day.  No leakage.  The surgery did *not* fix the regular incontinence issue, but my meds take care of that constant urge.  The one down-side of the surgery:  at 8 weeks post-op, during sex, my husband said it felt like I :still had a stitch."  I thought it would dissolve - didn't get it checked (stupid).  I just got home from the doctor, and sure enough, the sling has erode through to my vagina.  I'm not sure yet what will need to be done, or how extreme.  I can say, though, that I could not have done my jobs without it.
I had the bladder sling 13 months ago and as soon as I came from under the anesthesia, I got up and went straight to the restroom-first time in three yrs that I could pee and start and stop the flow and not leak after I stood up to pull up my pants. It was a quick recovery time as well. Was out of work for 2 wks and all I did was kick back and let everyone wait on me--that felt good! lol! had some soreness in groin area on both sides at the small incisions but after about 3 wks I was back to normal. I didn't have to go as often and when I got the urge I didn't have to cross my legs and stand still until the urge went away. Now for the past 4 months I have increasingly gotten back to the presurgery status...wetting myself alot more than I did and going every 1-2 hrs and not feeling fully emptied when I go. Husband hasnt said anything about the 'stitch-like' irritation so hopefully no erosion, but something surely is wrong. This has me stressed to the max! I dont sleep or eat and scared to drink much of anything for fear of wetting myself or going every hour or so. I have been to primary dr and told him & he said i need to go back to urologist but I'm scared to death to hear what he has to say. Primary dr also put me on cymbalta for depression and said it has a sleep aide in it and so far after 3 months i havent noticed any difference while on the medicine. What am i going to do?? I havent really said much to my husband about it because he has alot going on now with work and his Grandmother is also ill and battling cancer. Does anyone know if the urologist has a simple fix for this or if it will require removal of current sling and placement of a new one?
Sleepless in a smalltown,
Countrygrl
I had a TVT done in Sept 2011. Had pain ever since.  Terrible Groin pain, thigh pain, and a protrusion of something in my groin that feels like a comb.  MRI did not show it, CT did not show it, but it can be felt.  My question is this.....are you supposed to feel the sling in the left side of your groin adjacent to your pelvic bone? It pinches and hurts when I sit, it hurts when I stand, get sharp pains, and it hurts to try to even spread my knees apart.  This is crazy. Going to Barnes Hosp to see a uro gyne and hope he can give me answers
Has anyone that has had this had the same? Does anyone else feel the sling? It can be felt by hand, and the xray tech and 2 docs have felt it....however, the doctor that put it in, said " I can't imagine that the pain you are feeling is from anything that I did" ......that was after I found out he had also perforated my bladder with the trocar....what should I do?
Yes, there is a simple way to repair instead of the sling. I had a hysterectomy 01/17/2011, I was supposed to have the sling also, but during the hysterectomy my bladder was nicked and the sling could not be put in. My doctor said, "we could not due the sling due to the nick, so I repaired it the old fashioned way we used to do it, by stitching it to your vaginal wall." I was amazed, I said I wished he would have mentioned that he could do it this way, that is what I would have requested. I think the urologist needs to get his money also, so gynocologists don't do the repair the old way anymore. I have had no problems and as soon as my bladder healed, all my leaking stopped. He said it could last 3 years or the rest of my life. If not, he said he could go back in an do another repair. Ask you doctor about this, it is better than the sling and you don't have to worry about something being in your body that maybe not should be. Diana
Hi, I am having the exact same problem. 6 months ago I had a full hysterectomy and bladder sling and ever since it was safe to have relations again, my husband has been "scratched". My doctor found it to be the sling eroded causing this. I see a urologist on Monday to talk about options. I'm not a happy camper.
I had the surgery today. The pain in groin hip area is excruciating...how long does it last? Any suggestions on handling the pain?
I had bladder sling surgery in 2006 to end my incontinence that resulted from having two children. I was 35 years old and did not want to give up running or horse-back riding. Surgery was very successful for me, although the recovery was long and it took several months to be able to go to the bathroom without really needing to "focus" on it. Since the surgery, I have had spotting and bleeding after high impact exercise. It was inconsistent, but has become a regular thing for me to expect every time I run. I now only run a couple of times a week because of this. Until the FDA news about the mesh sling, I did not think that it had anything to do with the bleeding or the occasional pain on my right side. I attributed it to my menstrual cycle or birth control. I did, however, discuss this several time with my OBGYN and had many tests to determine the cause. All tests had normal results. Now I am certain that this bleeding and pain is from the TVS. Is there anyone else having he same or similar issue?
I had a sling done 12-12-11, It is now Christmas Eve and I have had no issues so far other than the post op stuff.  My surgeon mandates going home with a cath for 7 days.  That was pure hell but he has the most success with healing b/c you can literally lay perfectly still not having to get up and move around to urinate.  After the cath was removed, I went on a 2 hr schedule that I had to urinate at 2hr on the hour round the clock for 48 hrs, then 3 hrs for another 48 after which now I can drink when I want and urinate when I want. This was to retrain the bladder after having the cath for a week.  I hated it but after reading comments of all the complications and pain, I am glad he did it b/c I feel my sling was able to stay right where he put it and I got a jump start on the healing as where other maybe moved around and it adjusted itself before good healing took place.  I was also told I cannot bend over for six week which is sooo hard.  I had NO pain, never took one pain pill  (also had a rectocele repair done at the same time)  I have looked and have not seem that limitation, the bending, on any website anywhere, just the not lifting, which I get.  Was anyone else told about bending??
had tvt op 4 years ago but had no relief from incontinence from the start.have had problems with continual utis and been fed antibiotics since a year .had extreme pain i couldnt walk far or stand for long  and doc said it was an infection causing it which i didnt think.i was admitted to hospitaal with vagina pain just to be told i had a vaginal prolapse .i then had camera put in my bladder which revealed the op had gone wrong 4 years before and was imbedded in my badder and i also have a large bladder stone.im in a lot of pain taking morphine at home and waiting for op to have tape removed and stone removed
WOW! The whole mesh idea is a bad one I reckon, what about pig skin ?sounds awful but unless you are jewish a better answer than having the mesh thing 'pop' thru the vagina!
Hip streaches sound like a great idea to prep for surgery, I cannot stand for long or even bend sideways now without a leak, haveing the surgery in March. My aunts had big babies and the same problems.they also had successful results, excersing and everything...whoa!
A c section should be something women could opt for freely, my deliveries were a 'natural birth' disaster! When women tell me they are pregnant I cringe, turn the other way to stop myself from telling them I am actually sorry for them, unless they can opt for a c section and dont gain too much weight. I love my kids but I should have been warned rather than told to just breath and "open like a freakin flower" in the delivery room!

I am looking forward to getting some relief but do not think I will ever be the same. I just don't want to have a pessary inserted when I'm 65 when it all might just be slip out on the toilet one day who do you yell for then the fire dept?
Should have been born a man!!! In the meantime I will try and think of myself as a delicate greenhouse orchid during recovery and sit back.

Could we all just tell the young women about child birth and fire the freakin lamazze coaches ..........the truth once in a while please:)
I had a hysterectomy in November with  urethra sling.  I was back in surgery the next day being the dr cut my bladder multiple times.  I had a cath for a month and had it out for two days before I was peeing spontaneously for no reason.  I went to the urologist who did t.he repair from the cuts in my bladder he gave me meds to stop the urinating.  Everything was fine until today.  I had intercourse and we were very careful knowing what I had been through.  Right after sex I was bleeding.  I know it is my bladder not vaginal.  I can feel the mesh and fear it is broken or something is wrong.  I too was told to have it and my leakage was mild before the surgery.  I do not want another surgery but I would rather have it removed and be in depends than have the mesh protrude and cut through my vagina.  I am only 37 and I feel this is terrible for my age.  I just want to feel normal again.  I had not seen the warnings on tv being I do not watch it until after the surgery.  I laid in bed for 8 weeks and saw commercials every night.  If I could go back I would have refused the hysterectomy and the sling.  I was told it would be easy and quick since I am so young.  I fear life will never be normal again if I do not get this thing out of my body.  I too have fibro and tend to not notice pain since I am in constant pain around my neck and back.  DO NOT DO IT LOOK FOR ALTERNATIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I WISH SOMEONE HAD WARNED ME OR I HAD READ MORE BEFORE.  I see the dr tomorrow and will go from there but I do want it out NOW before things get worse.
I completely understand what you are going through. I had the sling put in last May. At first things seemed slightly better. The leaking stopped which made me very happy but was still having issues with urgency and frequency. I have tried multiple medications-some helped a little, others not at all. Last week I stood up at work and felt quite a bit of urine leak out (so much that I had to go home to change). I was ok for a couple of days then it happened again. Now it is happening daily, several times per day. A pad helps but it's not always enough to handle the amount. I am 41yrs old but feel 100 when it comes to this. It's embarrassing! I am on the road a lot for work which makes it harder to deal with. I am tired of keeping a change of clothes in the car just so I can stay dry. I have seen so many doctors, none of which can figure out the urgency or frequency (gynecologist, urologist, neurologist, neurosurgeon). I am so sick of this I have put off going back to the dr for the leaking because I feel like I'm not going to get anywhere. I am at my witts end!
I had the sling done 3 days ago i am 23 probably the youngest one to have it done. it was very painful at first couldn't walk barely stand or even move around today im better i have the urge to go more frequently than before but other than that some usual bleeding that the dr said would happen and soreness but back to my normal activites other than work for another week or so. I'm loving this time off and the lovely weather that go along with it BUT what's up with this burning and really really bad itching that just started like a day ago did i do something wrong? I need help its friday night and i cant go another day with this feeling nothing helps but a cold wet rag to relieve some of the sensations!
I have exactly the same pain as you in my left groin, so bad sometimes that it wakes me up at night. I'm convinced it's the end of the TVT tape protruding and I know the surgeon did not make the incision in the right place because the other side is higher up on the pubic mound and does not give any problems. I have constant pain, which is worse after doing shopping, housework, gardening, standing for over half an hour or sitting for more than 20 mins. I wish I'd never had the damn thing put in but after 4 years fear it's too late for anything to be done. My consultant (who incidentally did not do my ops - these were passed down to an "associate") says he cannot do anything more for me but if I want a second opinion he's happy to write the letter!!! If this is not passing the buck then I don't know what is! Welcome to the NHS!
I am thinkgin of having this suregry in 4 months and am terrified by these reports, please keep me informed of your progress, I am 51.
Of course the good surgeries are not posted..because all the ladies here that have looked this up have had problems! duh!
I also..after 2 yrs..have had problems and the doctor said it was rare..he is going to have to remove it now.  ALso..cancer has shown up...so..don't tell me this has nothing to do with it.
I had the monarch sling surgery 20 months ago.   Some of you that are describing symptoms such as leg pain, hip pain, etc., - I just don't want you to lose hope.   I had many of those same symptoms for almost a year after surgery...not bad, but just annoying as though a nerve was involved or something.   All those little pains are now completely gone.   I ride horses competively and this was the sling my doctor recommended as it carried very few long term issues.   I must say he was correct.   I am riding constantly again, and before I used to (for lack of a better word) wet myself every time my horse made a sudden move - also if I laughed or coughed - it got to where it was quite embarrassing!   I have ZERO leakage problems now - ZERO.   My quality of life is 1000% better, being somewhat of an athlete.   Now..the only thing I'm worried about is that I can still feel the mesh - only at times - but I know it's there.  It does not hurt, just an occasional annoyance of "feeling it".   I haven't been in a relationship in years and have met the most wonderful man.   Of course wondering now what being intimate will be like.  I do feel a kind of ridge of tissue built up inside when I felt - and I notice my surgeon did some other procedures "down there" to give me back some of my youth (ha ha!) - I'm 58 years old.   Now... what will this all feel like to my new found, soon to be lover (I hope!).   I'm worried it will be painful since things are "smaller" down there...then there is the ridge... then will he not be attracted because things are different than a normal - well.... you get where I'm going.   I'm concerned for sure.   Almost don't want to find out!
Wow!
I am 58, scheduled for a vag hysterectomy and monarc sling for my bladder as well in a week. I have total faith in my surgeon who has done over a thousand of these operations and has never had a problem with any patient. I know I have the option of just having my bladder tacked up instead of the sling but my surgeon says that has a 50% failure rate. It's pretty freaky!!! I am also single and was looking forward to a renewed sex life but I keep reading all of these horror stories and it's making me rethink my decision.
I live in Vancouver, am having the procedure at Lion's Gate Hospital.
How are you fairing now?
I had a bladder sling put in in 2007 recovery time only day or two and have been fine until about 6 months ago...so I'm not sure if its a prolapsed uterus cuz it always feels like something is sticking out from the vaginal area and I have been back to the surgeon who did the procedure and she can't figure out whats wrong and only suggested that she remove the mesh and I'll be back where I was in 2007---incontinence when I sneezed, coughed laughed or moved to suddenly......I am going for another opinion and hope they can come up with a feasible solution.
Just offering my opinion be very careful that you don't have the propylene Mesh which I believe all Monarc's are made of well anyways this material is toxic to one's body. Please look it up a lot of your pain could have came because of that.  I know several ladies that have gone thru this  a long with myself, I'm in the process of finding a doctor to remove it completely. This mesh erodes inside and causes so many other complications. Research ladies, this stuff can ruin your life.
My opinion if she will remove the Mesh do it, this will only cause you more problems there is many women on different forums that are having huge amounts of problems from Mesh and we are all searching for doctors that will remove it, it is a hard surgery for them sometimes it takes two or more to remove all the mesh. If your's was made from polypropylene there is a huge possibility that it is breaking down eroding inside, unless you are feeling a some what bulge emerging from the vagina vault then that is possibly your vault collapsing.  I'm not a doctor just a lot of research on mesh, I had mine put in over a year ago, I had maybe a few months with no pain, I'm unable to urinate at times or I just wet myself, pain in the groin, urethra, in the vault, legs, back, water retention, No intercourse at all to painful so I had lost my sex life as well. keep searching and please do the research before jumping into any surgeries. hugs take care
also lot's of bleeding.
this is what the mesh does it was not properly tested with humans, check to see what your mesh was made of polypropylene is bad for our bodies, ask the doctors to make it out of your own fascia/your own tissue's then no problems..  
do your research ladies there are many law suits out there now due to this mesh..... look it up. anyone from canada ?
I had the bladder sling surgery 2 weeks ago so far the surgery went good but i have had a lot of pain from my hip my doc. well not return my calls about this.  I am getting better but i would like to know if any one else has had this problem
help!  i need to speak to someone from the college station, tx area about this mesh.
9-2012 I had an ablation and a monarc sling placed a few days ago. Little pain.  No heavy bleeding. No cramping. No need for the percocets. So far 3 days out I am going crazy because I am not able to do anything although I feel totally normal. I feel like i could go back to work lift my kids and exercise...........however I will follow the doctors orders. I recommend that If you need ablation and bladder life do it together. The only discomfort is my butt from sitting around doing nothing.

I'm 34. I have delt with Abdominal pain for years. In 99 I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovaries, by having a Laparoscopy done on my stomach. Was put on Birth Control to stop that pain and it went away for many years.
I noticed my abdominal pain came back when my insurance company changed my Birth Control to an off brand name. It caused major mood swings and acne. Then my period almost stopped.
I have had three children, all vaginally. They were really bad deliveries.
I had another Laparoscopy done 2 weeks ago this Monday. I was just diagnosed with severe prolapsed organs. I am going in for pre-opt on Tuesday and Surgery for removing my Uterus. She said she was going to place something to hold my bladder. I don’t have much problem with leak, only when I have the UTI’s it seems to be present cause the pain is so bad and I have to go to the bathroom so often, it ends up causing enough of a leak that I need a panty liner.
I’m extremely worried about getting a sling or anything placed on my bladder. The laparoscopy that I had 2 weeks ago, this Monday is still painful and has made my vagina opening more relaxed and the “ball” is coming through more. I’ve been doing keagle exercises but, it’s causing major abdominal pain.
I wish the dr would have explained to us if she comes across this, we can do this or that, but she just used the laparoscopy to diagnose instead of diagnose and fix. SO thinking it was going to be nothing, I had her burn my tubes while she was in there. Not happy. Cause now I have to have a hysterectomy of my uterus as I’m in stage 2-3. And she could have gone over the possibilites prior to my 1st surgery and we could have had the uterus taken at that time. I feel like she wasted my time.
I have been off work since the surgery and now will not be back until the earliest of Nov 19th. Give me a break. I’ve been so moody and upset and worried about needing a sling done on my bladder. If there are any true “good” stories out there, please talk.
I had the suburethral sling and the anterir colporrhaphy with a complete hysterectomy on Nov 6. So far, I have not had any complications from the sling. I spoke with my doctor about the sling, because of all the complications, she said that she did not use the metal mesh. She used porcine (pig skin) since it is so much like our own. She even commented that if she were having the surgery she would choose the porcine. I also believe it depends on the skill of the surgeon.
I had monarch sling surgery on 12th dec.2012 but still now I cannont urine. can you help comment
I had sling surgery on 12/20/12 .  The procedure was fast and very successful.  I was completely out for it under general.  The worst part was the pain in my legs from being in the stirrups.  This was the most uncomfortable part for me.  I had very little post op pain but took the pain pills anyway to keep ahead of any that would be coming.  I also noticed that being on my feet too much caused swelling and the frequency to pee increase.  I am following all the rules and behaving.  My dr. said to my husband and I that he did his part....not we need to do ours.  For the next 6 weeks I am taking it easy, no lifting, straining etc.  I returned to work part time  after 12 days and really feel good and IT WORKS!!.  I was able to pee right away without any  issues.  I had done lots of internet research before hand and was really scared to have this procedure done.  Lots of negative reviews and not too many positive ones.  I had tried 6 weeks of bladder physcial therapy before this procedure with a bladder center and that was a total waste of my time and money.  I did the kegels, changed my diet and saw my leaks get worse instead of better.  I am 51 yrs old and decided I had nothing left to lose with the surgery.  I have 4 kids (all vaginal births) and that really did a number on my bladder.  So far I am very happy and would recommend it.
Karen
so the bladder was stitched to the vaginal wall vs a sling?
i had a bladder mesh surgery in 2011. Now having to have second surgery after having 2 stitches removed in dr, office , to learn mesh is to tight obstructing uthera and not letting bladder empty completly causing numerous infections . Has anyone had a 4 inch cut put in mesh to relieve pressure?
You have expressed my exact thoughts.  I did some research last night and found all these comments from people with horror stories after the surgery. I had pretty much decided to live with it instead of having the surgery.
My surgeon told me the same but during the procedure my bladder was perforated and I had to go home with what they called a "permanent" cath. I was experiencing so much pain that the dr. told me to take the cath out early which I did. I'm still having the pulling pain in the lower right but am now experiencing pain in my lower back and sciatic nerve area which is causing terrible spasms.
What ever happened with your sciatica? I'm experiencing the same thing and don't know if I should contact the uro that did the surgery or just go to a spine specialist.
Hi! I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I am experiencing the same problems you did after your surgery 8 weeks post-op, and I went to see my surgeon, who said my sling has shrunk (contracted) and I need to have corrective surgery where he will go in and snip the sling on the right side to relieve some of the tension, and that will solve the problem. I am already having this surgery next week because my insurance expires at the end of June. Is this what you did, and did this solve the problem, or did you have further complications? I hope you will find the time to answer! Zofia
hi please contact me on ma email dats is tashu.***@****
contact me on tashu.***@****
Hello,I Have A Question About Removing The Bladder From My Husband, He Has To Have His Bladder Removed, [Emergency situation] And I Am Wondering,if He will Have To Have A Catheter for the Rest Of His Life? Any Help Would Be Much Appreciated!! Thank-You, so Very Much! And My e-mail is ***@****,Thank,s Again