Urology Community
Bleach in the Bladder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bleach in the Bladder

I am a spinal cord injury patient with a neurogenic bladder relying on self catheterization to void my bladder. In the hospital I was taught to wash my catheters in a bleach and water. I added to much bleach once and introduced some into my bladder. This caused a series of health problems. I was ill for many months and still feel some effects today. It has been about a year since I recovered. I believe that some of the bleach reached my kidneys as well causing some irritation and a minumal amount of function loss. The problem I am having now is that I feel pain in the bladder. My mind blocks it out most of the time however I think it is causing some physiological stress even when I dont feel it. I believe I have a chemical burn inside the bladder. I dont know what tests would diagnose this or what treatments would be benifitial. I think that the urine in the bladder and possibly the expanding contracting action is preventing the healing of these burns.