Urology Community
Bleeding Penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bleeding Penis

My 21-year old son is worried about himself and he's got me worried now, too.  About a month ago he experienced burning during urination, and some bleeding.  He went to his college health service, and went through the usual battery of tests, all of which returned with negative results.  He also had his blood tested for Hepatitis.  He was given a very short course of antibiotics, as a precaution.  He told me that the burning resolved itself, and although he continued to spot blood infrequently, he didn't allow himself to worry about it too much, since he had been told he had been cleared of the usual suspects.  Today he called me because the bleeding has begun again, more than before.  Mark you, he has a girlfriend, and he is sexually active, and I suspect like a lot of young men, he is VERY sexually active.  And he has been spending most of the past week visiting his girlfriend.  What do you think?  There are some very scary reasons for this ongoing bleeding, but he is a young man.  Do you think if he were celibate for some time (a week, two weeks, a month?) this might be resolved?  Is there anything else that the health service should be checking?  Should he be getting a second opinion?  Thank you, from a  worried mother.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I suggest that if the bleeding persists then consult a urologist promptly. Gross bleeding from the penis needs further evaluation. Does the bleeding occur at all times or only during urination?

It has to be ascertained where this bleeding comes from. Bleeding noted at the start of urination may be from the urethra. Bleeding which occurs  predominantly at the end may originate from the bladder. Bleeding noted throughout urination may suggest kidney disease. Urinary tract stones and kidney problems have to be ruled out. A hemogram or analysis of the appearance of red blood cells may help assess where the bleeding comes from .

In the urinalysis were any casts , crystals or protein noted?

Was a kidney, ureter and bladder scan done to assess the structures?
My 38 year old husband has been having blood coming from his penis for about a week now.  He has noticed that the blood it "trickles out" of his penis while he is having a bowel movement, then the next time he urinates a few hours later, quite a bit comes out of his penis at the beginning of urination.  He saw our MD this past Tuesday & he said that there was quite a bit of blood in his urine and ordered an ultrasound.  We were able to get one Christmas Eve morning.  It is now the 27th and no word, mind you the doctor has been closed for the holiday.

I am worries sick.  Does this sound like symptoms of anthing?