Urology Expert Forum
Bleeding from the urethra
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bleeding from the urethra

Hello,
  I am a 45 year old, married female in otherwise good health.  I have noticed tiny drops of blood coming from the tip of my urethra.  This has lasted for about 3 days.  I first noticed several tiny dots of blood on my underwear.  There is no blood in my urine, and I am experiencing no other symptoms (no painful urination, no discharge, nothing).  The bleeding is VERY slight and has decreased each day, so that it is only noticeable now about once a day if I touch a tissue to the area.  What do you think?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Betty
Thanks for your question.
Although Tracey is correct, a UTI can cause bleeding from the urethra , this  would be less common if you do not experience frequency of urination, urgency to void, or burning when you urinate.  These are classical signs of a urinary tract infection, but are not specific for a UTI only.  I would strongly recommend an office visit to a local urologist who will be able to look at your urine under the microscope for blood cells and test for infection.  He may also recommend a cystoscopic exam( looking into the bladder with a lighted telescope).  This is the most sensitive test to find if you have a problem of the urethra or bladder.   A thorough doctor will do a pelvic exam to make sure the blood is not coming from elsewhere.   Urethral cancer is very rare but a possibility.  Small venereal warts can grow inside the urethra in men and women.  Stones can also cause bleeding from the urinary tract or as previously mentioned a UTI.   From these  possible diagnosis, you can see that you need a urological work-up even if the bleeding disappears.
We offer the above mentioned services at  Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses.  If interested, please call  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians