Blood During Urination
A few nights ago I woke from sleeping with a great urge to urinate. I woke with a full erection. I tried to wait until I lost my erection, however, the urge to urinate was too much. I tried to urinate with my erection. A second after the stream started I stopped uncontrollably. I had a strange sensation near the base of my penis, not painful or uncomfortable. Suddenly, the stream started again but bright-red blood came out. Obviously, I became quite alarmed and stopped peeing. A few seconds later I started again. This time I could tell there was blood but it wasn't as bad. I finished peeing. About an hour later I felt the urge to urinate. This time there was no blood. I went to my family doctor. They checked for blood in my urine and it came back negative. They also screened me for STD's which all came back negative. I have been referred to a urologist but my appointment is not until the end of June. I do not have any history of urology problems. Could this have been a stone with no pain? Could I have damaged my urethra by attempting to pee with a full erection (by bending it and the pressure of the pee)? My family doctor was puzzled but didn't seem too concerned after all the tests. Any thoughts?

Hi.

Gross or visible hematuria may be associated with a urinary tract infection or kidney stones. In your case, this appears to be asymptomatic hematuria as you have not noted any associated signs and symptoms like abdominal pain, pain in urination and pain or problems with sexual response. Let us wait for the urologic consult. At this point, differentials will be kidney stones, a urinary tract infection involving the kidneys or the bladder, a prostate problem, and glomerulonephritis .This may be a single isolated incident. A repeat urinalysis may be done by your urologist to confirm the presence of the red blood cells in your urine sample. A kidney, ureter and bladder scan may also be done.

Try to observe your urine .Hematuria may also be caused by strenuous exercises and certain medications. Are these applicable in your case?