Urology Community
Blood and protein in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Blood and protein in urine

Ihave been treated for a uti several times over a period of 2 years. The last two times I have had symptoms but when a culture was done, there was no growth of any bacteria. However, blood and protein were found. I have a burning sensation especially after urinating, but an awareness of burning. This comes and goes. I also ache in my lower back at times which is eased with heat. About the same time, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, not sure which came first. I have noticed that if I have alcohol or don't drink enough water, the symptoms come back. I was also diagnosed with sjogrens about 10 years ago, but it was in the very weak stages, and I have not been retested for this. My question is what are some possible causes of these symptoms? And if it were cancer, wouldn,t my white blood cell count be high?
Avatar dr f tn

When both blood and protein are present in the urine, it may indicate an inflammatory state that is causing the kidneys to have problems like IgA nephropathy, post-strep glomerulonephritis, Alport's syndrome, and many other glomerulonephritic condtions.

If protein and blood persists, it is important to have this evaluated further by a kidney specialist or nephrologist. A 24 hour urine test may help with the diagnosis. To diagnose cancer, additional tests are needed and would not rely on the white blood cell count. Take care and do keep us posted.