Urology Community
Blood clots in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Blood clots in urine

My Father, age 60, has just recently passed blood in his urine.  He's currently on flomax for an enlarged prostate and has been for a few years.  He's very good about going to the doctor and getting all the check ups.  When he passed the blood he described it as feeling like a "relief" and actually thought he may have passed a small kidney stone.  No pain was associated with it at all and he hasn't passed blood since(about 1 week).  I'm obviously scared it's some type of cancer, but was also hoping it was just something to do with his prostate.  He went kayaking 2 days prior to the blood in urine.  I've heard that exercise can cause a ruptured blood vessel in a enlarged prostate.  any suggestions?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You need to consult a urologist for your father and get it evaluated. If your father is passing different-shaped clots in the stream, they could represent bleeding from the urethra or prostate. Clots can be wormlike, and if associated with pain it could represent clots coming from your ureters(tubes from your kidneys to your bladder).

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.