Urology Expert Forum
Blood dripping out penis
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood dripping out penis

HI, recently my dad has been having a blood discharge comming out his penis.  My dad is 78 and had been a smoker for 40 years.  He bleeds the most when he is sleeping it seems.  It comes out without urinating, and he has to wear tissue in his pants.  He went to the doctor and the doctor thought that it might be a urinary tract infection.  The doctor gave my dad some antibiotics and told him to come back in a week if the condition did not clear up.  Well it has been a week and my dads condition has not cleared.  He has taken all of his antibiotics and has another appointment tomorrow.  What are some possible diagnosses of my dads problem?  Should my dad see a uroligist?  Is blood dripping out a serious problem?  Would appreciate a promp reply...Thanks greatly,
                John

===============================================================
Dear John
Thanks for your.  I agree with Doug Banks.  A urologist can perform a  simple cystoscopic exam (a looking into the urethra  and bladder with a lighted telescope). This  is a fairly painless and will probably  find the source of bleeding.   Of primary concern,  especially in light of his smoking history,  is a cancerous lesion. If found it will probably need to be biopsied, if not excised. A diagnosis, however may be surmised by a urine sent for cytology ( microscopic exam for abnormal cells). Only direct visualization with biopsy or resection (removal) will can provide a definite diagnosis. This will most likely be done in the operating room.  Another possible diagnosis is urethral warts or  inflammation of the urethra.    
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians