Urology Community
Blood in Urine after Foley Catheter Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I have had about eight bladder/urinary tract infections just this year; which has made my urinary tract "senstitive." I had a foley catheter placed last night when i went into e.r. for an ultrasound. They took it about about two hours later. I have only urinated three times since but each time there is more blood in my urine. Is this normal? Will it pass?
Hi there,
As a matter of fact it is not normal to have hematuria or blood in the urine even after being catheterized. Unless that cathertization was traumatic i.e some tissues were injured during the insertion of the catheter, it is not common for patients to report hematuria after this procedure. Any idea what the ultrasound report was like. As of now this is the only reason I can think of unless you can get back to me with the details of the report.
In the mean time make it a point to see your urologist if the hematuria continues tomorrow.
If you have any further queries do get in touch with me.
Regards,
Dr. Sylvester