Urology Expert Forum
Blood in Urine

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Blood in Urine

I went to the ER Monday PM because of lower abdominal cramping and the fact my urine was a dark tea colour.  Prior to noticing the urine colour, I attributed the cramps to excess coffee intake that evening combined with some questionable food.

The attending Dr did an X-ray, blood work and urinalysis.  The X-ray came back clean as did the bloodwork (no bilirubin).  I believe the dr thought the cramps to be GI related and the urine colour due to dehydration.  When the urine sample came back it showed blood in the urine (microscopic) but no sign of infection.  The Dr seemed somewhat suprised and instructed that I go to my family Dr in 5-7 days for a repeat test.  The urine did lighten in colour as the evening passed and I drank fluids.

I am a 32 year old male with no medical history.  What could be possible causes of blood in the urine?  He did mention possibility of bladder/kidney tumor, how likely is this given my age?  I had a full physical done 3 weeks ago  (with urine sample) and there were no problems then.  I did take a couple of good falls on my back that winded me playing volleyball about 72 hrs before, could this be a factor?

I plan on seeing my family dr in 5 days or so but I'm quite anxious in the meantime.  Is this type of thing common given my age and health?

Thank you
Possible causes would be a urinary tract infection, kidney stone, prostate infection, or kidney disease.  Things like bladder cancer is also possible, but more likely in an older population.  There are some cases where intense exercise and trauma can lead to hematuria.  

In any case, blood in the urine is not normal and should be followed.  If it doesn't clear up during repeat testing, I would consider further evaluation with a urologist.  An IVP, cystoscopy or kidney ultrasound can all be considered as next reasonable steps.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0