Urology Expert Forum
Blood in Urine
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood in Urine

I can be considered a "chronic" kidney stone sufferer-I pass three to six stones per year.  The latest kidney ultrasound and KUB X-Ray (performed last November)revealed several stones in each kidney (calcium oxalate)even after lithotripsy (performed July 2003).  My question is-can the presence of stones in the kidney cause chronic micro hematuria, even when stones are not "active" in the urinary tract.  It seems that every semi-annual visit to the urologist results in a small amount of blood being detected by urinalysis.  I recently purchased the Bayer urinalysis reagent strips, and it seems each time I test the urine, the strips register a trace amount of blood.  The only time I notice visible blood is when a stone is later confirmed to be active.

Obviously, my concern would be bladder cancer, but, would that have not been "looked for" last year when the stent was placed by the urologist prior to lithotripsy?  

I am a 48 year old male who has suffered from kidney stones for 25 years.

I appreciate your response.
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
Yes, the continuing presence of stones can cause micro-hematuria.  Other things that can cause hematuria would be infection, kidney disease, prostate problems, or bladder disease.  

Of course, bladder cancer would be the condition you wouldn't want to miss, and I would consider a cystoscopy to evaluate for this.  Other considerations would be a prostate exam, urine cytology (again looking for bladder cancer), or kidney ultrasound.  

It may be possible that bladder cancer may have been evaluated for during the stent placement, but I cannot be sure without being more familiar with your record.  The cystoscopy would be the most comprehensive test.  

I would discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
MedHelp Health Answers