Urology Expert Forum
Blood in Urine

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Blood in Urine

I am a 39 y.o male and my current condition is caracterized by:
1. inflammation of the prostate
2. inflammation of the urethra
3. reddish irritation of the gland (more serious toward the tip)
4. an slightly annoying sensation (not pain) from inside which is hard to pinpoint but seems to originate from the prostatic area
5. vivid blood in urine after sexual arousal

I suppose 1 and 4 are directly related. I have been having this sensation for many years now. Never gave it much attention though.
3 I also have had for many years. I have seen various docs about this but none gave it much attention. Tried several creams but none proved effective. I spoke to my urologist about this in Sep/07. He prescribed me an anti-fungal cream which I applied 2-3 times a week during a year. It had no effect at
all. He suggests circumcision for this problem.
2 was discovered last month.
5 happened for the first time in Sep/07. However, I have been accusing small traces of blood in my urine since at least 2004. I visited an urologist and
after many exams (ultrasounds, uro-catscan, blood and urine tests) all the doc could find was an inflammation of the prostate. In Sep/08, however, I had another incident. I went back to my doc; my blood and urine samples were once again ok, so we did an urethroscopy. During the exam we could see a small vein leaking blood and my doc commented that my urethra was quite reddish. Since this exam I have been taking medication to strenghten my small veins (rutinicê + daflon). I am set to visit my doc again in Dec. but have some questions I would like to post here beforehand. Any advice as to what to ask him is also very welcome.

Could there be any relation between 1, 2 and 3? Are there any virusses or parasites that could cause these conditions? Bacterial tests were all ok. I am considering asking my doc for a sperm and prostate fluid exam. My doc is treating the vein problem but is this not caused by the inflammation of the prostate?

Mike
Every once in  while, we come across patients who have changes in the lining of their urethras and bladders that we cannot explain or treat. What you describe sounds like one of these situations.   You have had a very complete work-up and yet little has been found to account for your findings. The bleeding vessel could be cauterized, but this will not account for the findings otherwise. You could get a semen culture, but I’ll be that it will be normal.
Circumcision will probably relieve that redness of your glans (glands) penis. Are you having sexual intercourse very often (depends upon with whom you speak as to the definition of  "very often")?  Are you masturbating very frequently (see last sentence)? Are you putting anything into your penis? These are all possible mechanical causes of your symptoms
Good luck with this one!
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

Thank you for you reply. The answer to all your questions is no. The reddishness of the glans (glands) does not allow for frequent intercourse because it becomes quite sensitive after and needs at least 24 hrs to go back to normal.

The reddishness seems to be worse these days. Maybe my defenses are a bit down  because I am recovering from a cold. Anyway it lets me describe in more detail what the problem is...

I can see many small red spots at the base of the glans (glands). About a hundred. The top of the glans (glands) is clear. The irritation is now also on the foreskin near the glans (glands). The irritation is leaving a liquid secretion. Urination is fine, no burning sensation. I haven't had sexual intercourse in 2 months now so it would not be any (recent) STD...

Regards,
Mike
I have uploaded 4 pictures:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mikem69/images/detail/#404/img1602em1.jpg