Urology Expert Forum
Blood in urine AFTER passing of stone?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Blood in urine AFTER passing of stone?

I am a 49 year old male in general good health.  I had blood in my urine two days ago and after several hours started having agonizing pain in the right abdominal area flowing up and around my side to the kidney area.  

After the pains began, I was unable to urinate.  Approximately 5 hours later, the pains subsided and I was able to urinate and it was the normal color.  I believed that I had passed a stone.  The next morning, my gut was tender, but felt more like when I've had episodes of diverticulosis and no pain in kidney.  Today the pain is worse in the gut and the blood is back in my urine.  Am I still passing a stone?
There can be residual pain after passing the stone.  There is also a chance that another stone may be present.  

Obtaining a helical CT can confirm the presence of another stone.  If present, a urology evaluation may be needed to remove the stone via a procedure.  

If the blood continues in the absence of a stone, a cystoscopy may be needed to image the bladder for any lesions or masses.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Folloowup withu your physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, PAIN was started.