Urology Expert Forum
Blood in urine but no UTI--possible cancer?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood in urine but no UTI--possible cancer?

I am a 50 year old female, and was diagnosed with institial cystitis in 2002. I had a DMSO instillation 18 months ago which didn't help. I have a long history of UTIs. Several times in the past couple of years, I've had the usual symptoms, but the urinalysis showed negative for infection. Now, for the second time in two months I have had visible blood in my urine. Both times the urinalysis showed no infection, just high protein and blood. Both times I had frequency, lower pain and pressure, and terrible fatigue. I am currently taking Macrobid. Last time the symptoms finally went away after 2 weeks of antibiotics. I have no insurance, so want to know if a urine cytology would rule out bladder cancer, since that seems like the least expensive test. but if it's not cancer, I don't want to pay for tests like cystoscopy or IVP. You have mentioned "trauma" as a possible cause of blood in urine. Is having intercourse a possible cause of trauma to my bladder? Both times I have had blood in my urine, my husband and I had intercourse the day before. There was some discomfort during intercourse. Is that a possible reason for the blood? If so, is there a remedy, other than abstinence? If the urine cytology is negative for cancer cells, should I pay to have the IVP and cystoscopy done? I have no cancer history in my family and am a nonsmoker. I am healthy, other than chronic migraines which started about 2 years ago.