Urology Community
Blood spots in my husbands underwear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Blood spots in my husbands underwear

My husband came home from work yesterday and showed me his underwear.  It was filled with blood spots where his penis has discharged tiny amounts of blood residue throughout the day as it normally would a drop of urine left after using the bathroom.  He said he had a urinalysis at work and was drinking lots of water so he could go when it was his turn.  He also said it burned and there was a little pain when he finally went, but it was not lasting.  He said the head of the penis stayed a little tender, but he thought that might have been from squeezing it every so often after he realized it was bleeding to see if it was still bleeding.  He showered that evening and changed clothes and there was no more blood spotting in his underwear the rest of the night or this morning, nor was there any pain when he urinated.  I am still concerned, but he, being a man, is not and does not feel it necessary to see the doctor over this.  Can someone give me an idea of what this might have been.  I spoke with my husband this morning and he said a co-worker suggested that he may have passed a tiny kidney stone and not realized it, but I would have thought there would have been more pain.  He did have an episode of stomach cramps three nights ago that we thought was going to end us up in the emergency room, but he made it through.  Could this have been a Kidney stone passing that quickly?  Please pass along any knowledge or experiences you've had.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The history of stomach cramps or abdominal pain is significant as I feel, this may be directly associated to the bleeding. I suggest that your husband get a prompt consult with a urologist. Do try to persuade him so that he will be thoroughly assessed. A urinary tract stone is a primary differential. An abdominal CT scan or ultrasound of the kidneys, ureter and bladder may be necessary. A complete examination of the urethra and the bladder may be indicated to determine the source of the bleed if the scans are normal.

If your husband is obstinate about seeing a doctor, I suggest that you continue to observe his symptoms. Let him wear light colored underwear so that any bleed may be readily noticeable. Also, I suggest that you bring a sample of his urine for urinalysis just to assess other parameters like bacterial load, microscopic bleed and crystals which may denote a urinary tract stone.