Both testicles hard after epididymitis

My name is James, I'm 22 and two weeks ago I went to my family physician with a painful right testicle. He said it was epididymitis, perscribed me antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicine (which I stopped taking because it was making me shiver, sweat and tachycardiac). The pain went away, but a week later it came back and both my testicles became hard. I've got an appointment with a urologist next week, however I'd like to know why both my testicles hardened. Sometimes the right testicle feels like it's a bit smaller than the other, but I think it's subjective.There are no lumps, the testes are just hard, probably minimally bigger, the right one aches (not continually, it comes and goes, radiates to lower abdomen and occasionally right leg), they're slightly softer when lying down for an hour or two.
By now I have a year with about the same problem. First i had one of my testicles slightly swollen and just a noticeable pain on my inguinal area. These symptoms have made the Dr's decide that it may be a hernia. However, anytime I eyaculate I have both of my epidydimis hardened. After starting to wear inguinal belts my testicles are back to almost normal (no swollen) but I am still confused with the hardened epidydimis after eyaculation. Urine tests don't give any clue. I am considering on taking a course of antibiotics just to be safe.
Hi James I have similiar conditions like you. Can you update us how are you now? what happened and how you treated your condition. Hope you will be fine now.