Botox Injections to treat BPH
I am 64 years old and have had BPH symptoms for about eighteen years. My symptoms have become progressively more severe with time and I probably should be considering some form of surgical intervention. Although the various surgical options are effective, I do not perceive any of them to be an elegant approach to this problem. Therefore, I have made a decision to do nothing in the surgical arena until I absolutely have no other choice.

Over the past four years or so a number of articles have appeared in the media about trials where botox is injected directly into the prostate to treat BPH. It appears this treatment is effective for approximately a year and then must be repeated. This approach appeals to me because it is an elegant treatment that does not appear to irreversibly damage the prostate and leaves all natural structures fully intact. It also appears that the risk of incontinence, ED, etc. is much less than the surgical techniques.

All of the urologists I talked to over the past few years, including very recently, to my surprise, claim ignorance of these trials. How close is treatment with Botox to leaving the trial stage and becoming a main stream treatment?

I am a 71 year old and have suffered progressively worsening symptoms of BPH for 15 years. I had Botox treatment as part of the original study done about 4 years ago.  I was very pleased with the benefit and had no side effects.  I believe it is the best treatment availabe for BPH patients.  Sadly, I cannot find any Urologist here in the Dallas area presently doing it.