Urology Expert Forum
Broken Testicle?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Broken Testicle?

Hi Doc:

I was diagnosed with Epididymitis last April.  I took 10 days of dyxoxcycline and it didn't go away.  The problem got worse and I lost my libido, got weak erections and very low ejacualte volumes; over 3 months,so I was sent to a urologist who confirmed the diagnosis of epididymitis and gave me 10 days of Keflex.  The pain went away in about 2 weeks and my sexual health( erections, ejaculate, etc.) got back to normal.  The pain came back (to a lesser degree) over the next 2 months.  The urologist then put me on 4 weeks of dyxocycline.  In Dec., I was diagnosed infection free.  Over time I have gotten better.My epidiymis is no longer sore but oddly enough I have lingering testicular pain.  My erections and libido are weak and ejaculate volume is low.

Sorry this is so long but my question is regarding my testicle flipping over alot.  My right ( previously infected) testicle keeps flipping over.  This causes pain.  The testicle hangs much higher than the left healthy testicle.  It also seems a bit out of place.  Comparing the two, it seems my right testicle is missing some "wiring" near the bottom and has a mass of tissue at the head of the epididymis.

Is it normal for a testcile to keep flipping upside down? Is it possible the tissue and vessels are torn?  Is there any way to fix this( rest, abstinence, surgery)?  Your thoughts are very welcomed.

Thank you
There certainly can be normal variation in penile anatomy.  The only way to ensure there isn't anything going on would be some sort of imaging study - a scrotal ultrasound wouldn't be a bad start.  This should be able to tell whether there is a fluid collection, a mass present, or any severe deformity within the testicle.

Lingering epididymitis can be possible.  Being tested to see if the bacteria is resistant to the antibiotics is reasonable (i.e. resistant to doxycycline).  

If negative, you may want to consider evaluating the prostate which can cause some of the symptoms you have described.  A thorough digital rectal exam as well as a transrectal ultrasound (to image for any abscesses) can be considered.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0