Urology Expert Forum
Bulging Veins / Bumps On Penis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Bulging Veins / Bumps On Penis

I have just noticed some very large bulging veins and bumps under the skin in the left side of my penis shaft just under the head. There is not much pain but I am somewhat alarmed, I am 36 years old and have never seen this before. The symptoms were first noticed 2 days ago in the morning, I had an erection and when I felt it the bumps were very noticeable, there is a vein on the top of the shaft that was very large and tight, it's not like that normally. When soft there is still a very noticeble bump, feels like a bunched up vein which is being fed by this other vein on the top? There also seems to be some other bumps near it just under the head. During an erection it appears as quite a deformity! Causing the shaft to bend a bit which is also not normal.

What is this? Is it harmful?

Mike
You may be describing superficial thrombophlebitis of the penis (an uncommon disease known as Mondor's disease). This is an inflammatory reaction to a clot within the vein. This subsequently causes blockages and dilation of the vein. It is typically painless, but can be painful. In studies, patients were noted to have thrombophlebitis after a prolonged sexual act with or without intercourse. It was described as cord-like thickening of the superficial penile veins.

Diagnosis is via ultrasound which shows blockage of the vessels. Treatment is with anti-inflammatories (i.e. aspirin or ibuprofen) and most resolve within 4-6 weeks. If it persists, then surgery may be necessary. A referral to a urologist would be reasonable.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0
0