Urology Expert Forum
Bumps on the bottom of the penis shaft (on skin)

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Posted By  HFHS M.D.-JJ on March 18, 1998 at 18:24:04:

In Reply to: Bumps on the bottom of the penis shaft (on skin) posted by Mike on March 09, 1998 at 03:16:45:

: For about 6 or 7 years now I have had some bumps on the underside of the shaft of my penis.  These "bumps" closely resemble goosebumps, with the exception that they are always present and visable.  They especialy stand out when I am errect.  These bumps start from the skin on my testicles and go up along the bottom of my shaft.  I am not circumsized.  The skin that covers my glands does not seem to be effected by the phenomenon.  I am 21 years old and have never had sex so it is deffinately not a sexually transmitted disease.  I have been masterbating (masturbating) since I was 5 years old by using a pillow and rubing against it with the underside of my penis.  Sorry for being so honest but I feel it is important to know, and I would be too humiliated to tell this to a doctor in person.  The bumps did not appear until I was 14.  I doubt that I am alergic (allergic) to the pilow because my genetalia is the only part affected.  There have been a few times that the bumps decreased in number (about 30%) but have remained fairly consistant and stuborn.  I have tried "rubing alcohol" for a few feeks and it burned real bad but had no effect.
  I can not express how greatfull I would be for any clue as to what the phenomenon could be and any information you could provide me with.  I would also like advise as to what type of doctors treat these dissorders.

Dear Mike,
In answering your question concerning the bumps on the underside of you penile shaft, I must first emphasize that it would be impossible for me to diagnose any lesion without the benefit of examining you , and therefore recommend you see a dermatologist or urologist in person.
There are a variety of bumps and lesions that can form over the penis and genitalia.  Some of them are serious and require medical attention, and some are benign.  However, based on the description you provided, it sounds like these bumps are most likely benign with respect to their chronicity (how long they have been present), and the fact that the bumps have not been painful, and the skin over the bumps  has not been ulcerated (the skin has not broken down) or inflamed.  Of course, a specialist examining you would look for these signs amongst others.
Usually there are hair follicles on the underside of the penis that are actually an extension of scrotal skin hair that may or may not have any hair growing from the follicle itself.  You could consider it similar to an ingrown hair.  The bumps you described may also be what we refer to as ectopic sebaceous glands.  Both the processes described above are confined to the skin and become more prominent during erections when the penile skin is more taught.  Both processes are usually seen after puberty, and considered benign.
Therefore, based on my limited knowledge about your specific case, it is probable that your
1 Comment
A related discussion, small bumps on my penus was started.