Urology Expert Forum
Buried penis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Buried penis

I have recently been reading about a condition called "buried penis". I am not sure whether I have this condition or not.. Some places say that a buried penis is one that is completely out of view and some say that if the shaft is buried in the subrapubic fat pad then you have it.

In my condition my penis is visible, however I think I do have a large subrapubic fat pad, and upon pushing down on this pad I am able to see at least an extra inch or more of the shaft. When not pushing on the pad the shaft is pretty short and probably only two and a half inches in length. If I push a finger deep into the area where the penis connects to the pubis I can feel the extra length of the shaft that is not visible.

The reason I am concerned with this is that I am going to get a circumcision because of complications of balanitis and phimosis, and the buried penis condition might cause a complication in the circumcision, how can I be certain if I have the condition or not and what sort of procedure is used to correct this.
As you state, buried penis is a condition in which a phimotic penis is hidden or buried within the suprapubic fat pad.

This is a diagnosis that should be made by a urologist.  If this is the case, then plastic surgery reconstruction of the suprapubic fat pad and penile shaft in combination with circumcision may be necessary.  

The circumcision would treat both the of balanitis and the suprapubic fat/penile shaft reconstruction can address the buried penis.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
A related discussion, buried micro penis was started.