Urology Expert Forum
Burning Pain in Kidney

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Burning Pain in Kidney

I had a bad infection about 6 months ago. The infection left but since then I have had a burning pain in my left kidney and pain in my left pelvic area. I also have some bloating. I went to the ER and they ran test, blood urine, dye in kidney for xray. Everything is fine, no fever, no vomiting, no blood or frequency of urine, no problem with bowels. ER Doctor said it could be different things, but implied there really wasn't any thing to be concerned over. (Of course he's not the one in pain!) He gave me some pills to settle my stomach that haven't worked and some pain bills that work some for a short time. I was so sure I had a kidney stone and that I would eventually pass it, that I never worried too much until the burning and pain started increasing over the past week.

_
Dear Cher'ley,
An obstructing kidney stone can cause renal colic.  Renal colic is classically pain beginning over the kidney and then radiating from back to front and from higher to lower towards the groin area.  It can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, constipation, fever, and blood in the urine(hematuria).
Blood in the urine is absent with kidney stones approximately 15% of the time.  An IVP (intravenous pyelogram or excretory urogram) x-ray study is an excellent way to identify urinary tract stones and obstruction of the flow of urine.  You describe a normal IVP.  You may have passed the stone prior to the test, but that would not explain your current symptoms.  A visit with your primary care physician is indicated.  He or she can coordinate the tests and evaluations needed to identify the cause of your pain.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult  your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. The Henry Ford Hospital Department of Urology has experience in the evaluation and treatment of problems such as you describe. We would be most interested in helping you. You can reach us through our toll-free number (1-800-653-6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is  your need. Please bring any x-rays [and pathology slides] (not just the reports) as well as any physicians