Urology Expert Forum
Burning Thighs

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Burning Thighs

I have been experiencing a burning sensation in my thighs on and off now for the past 18 months. It is symetrical in both thighs, centred around the inside and back of the thighs at the top near my groin. The sensation is felt mostly when I am sitting down and lasts a few weeks constantly before going away completely and then returning again a couple of weeks later.

I have experienced little other symptoms, apart from some penile aching from time to time, though it is really the thigh burning that is causing me the most problem. All tests have been done to rule out STDs. I have also had an MRI on the pelvic region and been examined by a neurologist; nothing appeared to be abnormal. I do not suffer from any other kind of neurological symptoms, ie. msucle weakness, numbness etc. I have seen a urologist who initially diagnosed me with type IIIb prostatitis (cpps) Though this was done without any lab testing, he said burning upper thighs was a symptom and the chronic nature of it also pointed to cpps. I have taken 2 x 6 week courses of ciprofloxacin with no luck. The urologist has also performed a cystoscopy and a prostatic massage, finding no abnormalities. He has sent urine and prostatic fluid samples for testing for which none have shown any sign on infection.

It seems that the doctors cannot help me any further. I am sceptical of the prostatis diagnosis, not just because of the lack of a positive test result for anything, but also because I do not have any of the other more typical symptoms associated with prostatitis; the only real problem is the burning thighs.

This affliction is greatly reducing my quality of life, mostly because it is affecting my ability to concentrate at work as the sensation is exacerbated while sitting down.

I would be most grateful if you could tell me whether you have encountered other patients with this kind of symptom and possibly what treatments may have been effective. Perhaps this does not sound like cpps to you and you might be able to point me in a different direction. Or if there are any other forum members reading this who have suffered similarly and might be able to offer some advice.

Thank You for you help
You have had a pretty comprehensive urological evaluation.  If the symptoms continue, you may want to look outside the prostate and other urological conditions.

This can include various causes of peripheral neuropathy or nerve compression.  An MRI of the back, as well as electrodiagnostic testing (i.e. with an EMG) should all be considered.  Blood tests looking for metabolic diseases like diabetes, thyroid function and vitamin B-12 disorders should be done.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.  I also suggest a neurology referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0
0
I have the same symptons and my doctor is also treating me for prostatitis using antibiotics but I am not seeing any real change. If I dont sit down to much I feel OK for that day but the following day it seems to come back. If you have had any further diagnosis I would love to know. If I find any more out I will pass it on.

All the best
Hi thighburn,

I am a female 28 years of age, and I also experience the thigh burning. I confused it for hot flashes for a while, but recongnized that it's not that.  I did mention it to my doctor, but she brushed it off.  do you experience any weight loss with when your thighs burn?  

Thanks,

thighburn....
A related discussion, Burning Thighs & Lower Buttocks When Sitting was started.