Urology Community
Burning and blood from penis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Burning and blood from penis

I am 23 years old.  Last night I had protected sex with minimal unprotected genital contact (maybe 10 seconds).  I had no problems urinating throughout the day today.  Tonight I ran about two miles wearing compression shorts.  After running I went to pee and it stung.  After fighting through the pain and finishing urinating I inspected my penis and on the inside of the tip it looked red and almost as if there was a cut there.  Without pulling open the tip, it looks completely normal.  Also I then inspected my compression shorts which were white and there is a blood stain where my penis was.  I am terrified and would like to know whether this seems at first appearance to be a UTI, STD, or simply an irritation from running.  Also what should my next steps be?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It can be due to trauma during intercourse, urinary tract infection, urethritis or even infections like Chlamydia. It can be due to blood if there is any boil or folliculitis in the area. In urethritis, besides pain, other symptoms may include a burning sensation during urination or erection and a discharge from the urethral opening at the tip of the penis.

I feel that you should consult a physician and get a swab sample of the urethra examined under the microscope. It will clear any doubts.Treatment will depend on confirmation of diagnosis.
I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and all the best.

After about 12-18 hours of the pain, it has actually gone away.  I had been drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice just because of hearing it was helpful for possible UTIs.  Do you think I should still consult a physician if none of the symptoms come back or should I be satisfied that it was solely from the trauma of the sex and/or running?