Urology Community
Burning in urethra

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Burning in urethra

Hi, i am a sufferer of extremely recurrent UTIs. Recently, i have realized that washing near my urethral opening with soap during a shower tends to cause excessive burning. I use Lux soap at the moment (available in the UAE). Could it be possible that my bath soap is causing the UTIs? If so, what kind of a soap should i switch to? Please reccommend a particular brand if possible.
Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It can be due to UTI or uretritis. However using soaps will not cause UTI but can cause irritation of the urethra. It can be caused by chemical irritation caused by soaps, lotions etc, masturbation and bacterial infections of the urethra.

Use mild soaps like Dove or Cetaphil and do not use any feminine products. If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a urologist and get urethritis thoroughly investigated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.