Urology Community
Burning in urethra

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Burning in urethra

I have burning in the urethra it always seems to be there but sometimes more severe then other times.  I also get pain in my glands by my groin and a squeezing pain in my legs that comes and goes.  I have been to a urologist and he did a cystoscopy and said he didn't see anything but the urethra was inflammed but he didn't know why.  I don't know what else to do does anyone know anything about this?
Did you ever get an answer?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

An inflammation of the urethra is called urethritis and can present with symptoms of painful urination. This can be due to infections with organisms such as chlamydia, E.coli, herpes simplex, trichomonas, mycoplasma, gonorrhea, etc.

As you have not posted any details regarding urinalysis results or prostate infection, it is difficult to decide whether you may have a UTI or a prostate infection.

Please post additional details regarding test results and antibiotic therapy that you have received.

You can also start supplements of vitamin C as they help in healing and strengthening the mucosa.

No, i never did get a reply from anyone and the problem still persists.  I have had urinalysis done and it comes back good.  I have been to several Urologists and they did a rectum exam and said it was good also.  I have been to a Neurologist for the leg pain and they did tests and said everything is good.

I see you mentioned the Herpes virus and i do have the virus in which i take 1 gram of Valtrex per day.  I was thinking the pain is from the Herpes Virus but all the Drs. i've been too say no.  They said if it doesn't get better from the Valtrex then it's not that, which it doesn't.  I have had the virus for along time but never even knew it till i got an outbreak.  When i was younger i used to get a bad pain in my leg for a few days and never knew what it was i probably just had a red dot somewhere i never noticed it.  But the pain I have now isnt like the regular way an outbreak comes like pain for a few days and then an outbreak it's all the time, sometimes being worse then others.  I wonder if it does have anything to do with my prostate?  Because it hurts worse when i sit on hard chairs, I feel it through my rectum through my urethra.  I was thinking if it was from the Herpes why would it be all the time now and so severe.

What is mucosa?  If you could help me I would be the most greatfull person in the world.  I cant stand this pain and not knowing what it is it's hard to even focus on my life.

Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Herpes infections go through phases of remissions and reactivation, called outbreaks.

You have not detailed the pain medication that you are currently on. Valtrex is an antiviral agent and unfortunately it is not active against viruses which are within some parts of the nerve called ganglia.

You will need to discuss pain management options with your doctor to include centrally acting pain killers such as amitriptyline or gabapentin and alpha-adrenoceptors such as clonidine.

Herpetic pain does not respond to the usual pain killers and needs specific management with other agents.

Mucosa is the skin lining the inner part of the body, such as inside the mouth.

Do post any additional doubts you may have in this regard.
First i didn't see that you replied back to me and thank you!  I don't take any pain meds I only take the 1gram valtrex because thats all the Dr. said to take for Herpes. I'm not sure i understand you, are you saying the Valtrex is no good for what i have?

It seems like this never goes away and it feels like my urethra is always burning.  My skin has been very sensitive too(burning feeling).  My urine always seems to smell is there anything i can do about it? When i did a urine test at my Drs. he said eveything was fine.

Thank you for your time,
Just because you have genital herpes does not mean that you always have genital herpes symptoms present, as in your 'burning urethra'.  The long standing 'burn' sounds more like a symptom of a prostate problem (CP) or chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS).  See a urologist and have a thorough workup; be candid with them regarding your health and lifestyle histories and most of all, DO NOT Worry Excessively, since this may escalate the symptoms and the syndrome.  Trust me, I'm going through a similar situation, with increasing painful symptoms for over 10 months, and I wish I would have gotten a firmer grip on my problem earlier in the process.  Stay Mentally Healthy!!