Urology Expert Forum
CATHETER INSERTION

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

CATHETER INSERTION

Hi:  I am a 52 year old male that has a relationship with with a nurse,  we like to play Dr & nurse in our sexual play.  Several times she has put a catheter called a foly in me and left it for a few hours so she can control when i go.  Although I like the discomfort when it is being pushed in and the feeling while it is in me I have some questions.  Sometimes not always when she removes it I have an urgency to pee for a few hours.
  Now she is talking about leaving the catheter in me for 3-4 days over the weekend.  Will this cause any permanet damage. thank you  She is also talking about  doing a dilation on me, how big can she dilate me and how painful is this?  Thank you Jow I
--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Joe I,
Foley catheters are used frequently in the hospital for patients that cannot empty their bladders themselves. They are composed of latex or silicon rubber. In the hospital they are placed using a sterile technique to prevent introduction of infection. These catheters are extremely safe when used in the medical setting. However, they are associated with an increased risk of urinary tract infections  even when placed  utilizing good sterile technique. The risk of infection is directly proportional to the length of time the catheter is left in place.
Even though your girlfriend is a nurse., I would not recommend using this catheter as a sexual toy. In particular, do not leave the catheter in place for three to four days. The urgency you described is common upon removal of the catheter however if it persists you should be examined to ensure you do not have a urinary tract infection.
There is also the risk of stricture formation when instruments are placed into the urethra. Strictures are scars that narrow the urethra and obstruct the urinary flow. These require surgery to correct and the recurrence rate is significant. The same is true for urethral dilatation.
I strongly urge that you pursue less risky means of sexual play.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653 6568).
HFHS MD-KR
*keyword: catheter, urethral instrumentation