Urology Expert Forum
CITROBACTER KOSERI
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

CITROBACTER KOSERI

32 years old female, gave birth 4 months ago in C-section, have a history of genital Herpes for 7 years now, and renal colic: 2 episodes (1995, 2004) did US in 8/2006 - without pathological findings. 10 days ago had sex for the 2ond time after the delivery with a condom, the vagina was aching and dry. 24 hours later i started to feel symptoms of UTI, but they were minor, plus - i had simoltaneously an herpetic vaginal lesion. I was checked by a gynacologist and was prescribed metronidazole gel for 5 days, the vagina feels fine now. 2 days after I gave a urine test and the culture was Citrobacter koseri. My doctor called me today and told me, I told him that the symptoms are already almost gone and he said that treatment is not nesaccery.
I read over the net that it is very contagious, antibiotics resistant and can cause brain abscess to babies. I have a 4 months old baby at home. what should I do?
Related Discussions
Normally, if there are no symptoms, treatment can be optional.  However, if there is concern about the infection spreading and leading to complications, I would treat it with the appropriate antibiotic.  Sensitivity tests should have been done on the culture to help choose the antibiotics.  

As for leading to brain abscesses, it would have to get into the baby's bloodstream, or via other routes of entry.  It is difficult to imagine a UTI leading to this scenario.

These options and questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0 Comments
Blank
Blank
A related discussion, can citrobacter koseri infection be asymtomatic? was started.
Blank
A related discussion, citrobacterinfection was started.
Blank
A related discussion, citrobacter koseri uti causing septic hip? was started.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979