Urology Community
Can a urine culture come back false-negative?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I have a 13 year old daughter that is continuing to confuse our doctor. First of all she was diagnosed with Giggle Synddrome which she has had symptoms for over a year. We put her on Miralax put that has only helped a little. She continued to have accidents daily both at home and school.

Than she was put on Ditropan recently which didn't seem to help at all. She now has accidents without laughing and has had accidents in her sleep a couple of times. Last week she had the symptoms of a bladder infection after she had an accident overnight in her bed. She had pain in her bladder area, pain urinating and went from have an urge to urinate to having no contol that morning. She had 3 accidents within a short amount of time from driving to the doctor's, at the doctor's office, and going home.

She was put on Bactrim which seemed to make the symptoms go away, although she continued to have accidents. However, the culture came back negative. The microscopic test done showed blood and a few white blood cells. She was taken off Bactrim Monday and yesterday had abdomen pain without burning after she went to the bathroom for about 30 minutes. She also has had a little dizziness on Monday and Tuesday. Other symptoms she has are leg pain and headaches.

We have an appt. at Mayo on January 25th, but that is a long way away. We are to return tomorrow to have a return sample done on her urine due to the blood and I have asked for a kidney function blood test.

Has anyone else come across this? Can urine cultures come back negative even though there is an affection.
Tags: culture
I am getting netative culture results alao and the did a scope of my bladder today and it show infection and I have blood cells red and white in my urine. So Do I have and infection? I hope not because  I just had a knee replacemnet which is a major problem if it is acutually an infection. I could lose the knee