Urology Expert Forum
Can chronic Klebsiella cause vesicovaginal fistula?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Can chronic Klebsiella cause vesicovaginal fistula?

Hi,

I've had symptoms of a urinary tract infection for the better part of the last year, and still more than average in the  year or so before that.  I do not have health insurance, so when the symptoms get really bad, I typically go to an urgent care clinic, where they take a urine sample, tell me it looks somewhat abnormal but inconclusive, and prescribe me a course of macrobid because further testing of the urine would be very expensive.

Over this time period, I have also noticed that my urine comes out of my vagina.  For a while I thought I was imagining it but now I am pretty certain.  I do not leak urine, but when I intentionally urinate it is definitely not coming from my urethra.  But again, not having health insurance, I chose to ignore this for a while.

A few days ago I went to the urgent care clinic again with UTI symtoms (symptoms) that I could no longer bear.  For the first time  in a long time they actually ran the full tests on it.  While awaiting the cultures they prescribed me macrobid as usual, but then they called me to say that actually the bacteria was Klebsiella which is not the most common bacteria for urinary tract infections.  They have prescribed me a course of Cipro, which I am about to go pick up from the pharmacy.  I am hoping that this will finally get rid of the symptoms that have plagued me for the last year or so.

So my question is, do you think the two may be related?  Could an undiagnosed Klebsiella infection cause a vesicovaginal fistula?  If so, what is the next step I should take? I imagine it will be very expensive... ?