Urology Expert Forum
Can chronic Klebsiella cause vesicovaginal fistula?

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I've had symptoms of a urinary tract infection for the better part of the last year, and still more than average in the  year or so before that.  I do not have health insurance, so when the symptoms get really bad, I typically go to an urgent care clinic, where they take a urine sample, tell me it looks somewhat abnormal but inconclusive, and prescribe me a course of macrobid because further testing of the urine would be very expensive.

Over this time period, I have also noticed that my urine comes out of my vagina.  For a while I thought I was imagining it but now I am pretty certain.  I do not leak urine, but when I intentionally urinate it is definitely not coming from my urethra.  But again, not having health insurance, I chose to ignore this for a while.

A few days ago I went to the urgent care clinic again with UTI symtoms (symptoms) that I could no longer bear.  For the first time  in a long time they actually ran the full tests on it.  While awaiting the cultures they prescribed me macrobid as usual, but then they called me to say that actually the bacteria was Klebsiella which is not the most common bacteria for urinary tract infections.  They have prescribed me a course of Cipro, which I am about to go pick up from the pharmacy.  I am hoping that this will finally get rid of the symptoms that have plagued me for the last year or so.

So my question is, do you think the two may be related?  Could an undiagnosed Klebsiella infection cause a vesicovaginal fistula?  If so, what is the next step I should take? I imagine it will be very expensive... ?
I have never heard of a fistula on this basis alone. Since you are not leaking urine continuously, your fistula, if there is one, would be to your urethra. These are associated with prolonged labor (child birth). One can develop urethral diverticula and these can become infected. I have never heard of these infected "tics"  rupturing into the vagina.
If your urine continues to be infected, the next steps for you would be to see a urologist. You'll need to have a look inside your urethra and bladder (cystoscopy) and an IVP or Cat Scan to start. I'm afraid that the dollars could become significant. If you can get health insurance,  now would be a good time to do so.
Good luck!
S.A.Liroff,M,D,