Urology Community
Cancer cells in her urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Cancer cells in her urine

So my wife has been having blood in her urine. They tested and found found a UTI. After 2 rounds of antibiotics she was still having problems so they tested for it again and it came back negative for a UTI but positive for ovarian cancer cells. Prior to these findings her Dr had already decided she should see a urologist which by the way moved up her appt a day and broke all this news to us. I went in with her for the procedure and during it he said the bladder looked suspicious but there were no obvious tumors showing. Little disappointed in the onc at the moment. She will go for a biopsy on Tuesday. Funny threw all this her CA 125 has been at 7.5 for months and that has always been a good marker for her. We were beyond shocked to say the least and still are. Anyone ever had or heard of this?????

Dave VG
lked with the onc Friday the 9 and he already had a call into my wifes onc/gyn. She called my wife at 9:00 Monday morning and shoe horning her in at 2 that day for an internal exam. Hopefully we get some answers. I'm thinking second look surgery depending on what they find today. According to the onc this appointment was more important than the one for the biopsy's at the urologist. Not sure why. He expressed to me that he is very concerned. I did not tell my wife that part. I knew it was going to be a very difficult weekend for her as it was. Shame on me I know just couldn't bring myself to tell her that part.
So the gyn could not feel any masses and did do a pap smear. She told us there are only a handful of areas the cells could be coming from, the bladder, vagina, colon or ureter. Biopsies on the bladder later today. She is not looking forward to that.

The biopsies are done. He took like 6 or seven samples. There were a few spots one in particular that looked funny and he took 2 samples from there. Her urine sample taken directly form the bladder by catheter during the last visit was not in yet which the Dr made it sound like that was not a good thing. Hard to get a good read on this guy but it seamed obvious. On a good note her pap came back negative. We see her onc next Tuesday

my wife is holding onto the pap test as a good sign but still realizes the cancer cells are coming form somewhere. I'm thinking the bladder from what I saw during the biopsies but then again I'm no Dr just know the spots he was concentrating on were not consistent with the rest of the bladder. I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Sorry so much info at once dr. Looking forward to what you have to say as always thank you

Dave VG