Urology Community
Catheter Problems after TUMT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Catheter Problems after TUMT

I had Transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT) a day ago. I must wear a catheter for at least a week. I'm having a lot of bladder spasms for which my URO gave me meds. The biggest problem is when I have a bowel movement. When this happens there an involuntary contraction of the bladder. This is very painful since it contracts against the catheter ballon. Besides the pain I'm afraid I may somehow do some damage from the strain. Anyone else ever have this problem? Any help?

Mike

I have had a catheter in for nearly a year and 6 months and I know about the bladder spasms.

My doctor has given me to things for it. One is Buscopan for the spasms and the other is Morphine for pain.

When I still experience pain with it, I either use a heating pad or take a hot bath.

I don't thik that there is a big risk about injury. When I first got the catheter I had the urethral kind and now have a suprapubic due to a fistula. I don't feel much of a difference in sensations.

Ask your doctor about the Buscopan and Morphine. Also Indocid suposetories might help as well. The other two meds are more targeted for that area.

God bless,

Ron