Urology Community
Change in Ejaculate Consistency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Change in Ejaculate Consistency

Over the course of the last month, the consistency of my ejaculate has gone from the normal thick creamy white it has always been to as watery as water. It is almost clear and I can hardly see anything that resembles the previous substance.  I am not masturbating too often, and in fact gave it numerous days to make sure that is not the problem.  What can this be?  It is just really, really strange as it almost looks like clear urine.  It still smells like ejaculate.

Any ideas, advice?

The semen varies in consistency from day to day and time to time. What is important is that a normal semen clots or becomes thick soon after ejaculation and then liquefies after some time. If this is happening and there is no blood in your semen then you need not worry. With time the consistency will change.

However if you are still worried you can get your semen tested for sperm count etc.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if there is any thing else. Take care!

Thank you for your response.  There is no blood in my ejaculation, but I also can't really see anything that looks the least bit white or creamy like a normal ejaculate would be.  It is very clear, a large amount comes out with each ejaculation.

I have seen the consistency of my ejaculate vary over my life, but not like this.  I'm 43 years of age, with no history of any medical conditions, and not on any medications.

I'm not really worried about sperm count as we have all the children we are going to have.  I am more concerned with why it has all of the sudden changed to such a clear, watery substance that doesn't seem to have any resemblance of what it normally would be.

Thanks for keeping me posted!
Now that I have a brief about you things are clearer. In your case what is important is that you check your semen and see if it clots or becomes thick soon after ejaculation and then liquefies after some time. If this is the case do not worry. Else you need to undergo a semen analysis to see what is wrong. The only other thing that comes to my mind is checking for diabetes.
I think you could discuss this with your doctor. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!