Urology Expert Forum
Chronic/Multiple Kidney Stones

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Chronic/Multiple Kidney Stones

Dear Dr,

I have an about 10 years of chronic kidney stones.  I have passed four in the past five days.  I recently had a car accident and it seems to have triggered an avalanche of stones.  I summer I turned in 37 stones to be analyzed.  I have had litho 5 times, stents placed 2x's, and numerous emergency room visits.  My current problem is that I have constant pain on my right side kidney down to my groin.  I am passing blood on a daily basis and stones are falling like the Roman Empire.  My family physician and urologist have run numerous tests but cannot find anything wrong.  I am worried about the frequency of stones and the constant blood in the urine.  I have had blood in the urine since Nov. 27th.  My Urologist seems to think I am in no danger of serious complications (kidney failure)... however, I have to question the increase in frequency and the chronic kidney pain. I have increased my water intake dramatically over the past four months only to see an increase in stones.  Emotionally and physically I am losing my spirit.  In March of 2006 I had three stones stuck on my left side and my right side the ureter was closed.  They had to stent both ureters.  I now know what it is like to live in hell.  I flew out to Mayo about six years ago and they said "drink more water"... is there a resource or "Kidney Stone" specialist that I can contact about this condition.  I have passed over 200 hundred stones in the past 10 years and am about to lose my job.  Please help.

CP, Michigan
Depending on the type of stone, there are medications that can reduce the frequency of its formation.

For instance, a thiazide diuretic can be used if the urinary calcium is high.  Citrate supplementation can also be used if the urinary citrate level is low.  Dietary modification should also be instituted based on the type of kidney stone produced.

Stone analysis should help guide appropriate treatment for prevention.

These options can be discussed with your kidney specialist or personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0
A related discussion, Multiple kidney stones was started.