Urology Expert Forum
Chronic Prostatitis

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Chronic Prostatitis

Doc,

First of all thank you for your time. My question is that about 2 1/2  years ago, shortly after I turned 40 I was diagnosed with prostatitis by my uroloigist. I had, and have all the symptoms, burning in the penis during urination as well as sometimes when I am not urinating. Pain behind the scrotum, in the area around my hips, groin area and some times in my lower abdominum. The pain comes and goes throughout the day and sometimes dissapears for a few days or even a week or more before coming back. There was a period where I had no symptoms for almost a year, that was about a year ago.The pain is never that bad but more so anoying. Aleve is usualy enough to eliminate most of if not all of the symptoms.Occasionally I get small spots of blood on my underware maybe once every month or two but not very often though. My urine tests always come back with trace amounts of blood but there has been no increase in the amount and my uroligist does not seem concerned.Also I notice more symptoms when I am sitting for longer periods of time. 2 1/2 years ago when I was originaly diagnosed my uroligist did a number of tests including a DRE, a test where a flexible tube with I guess a camera was inserted into my penis into my bladder to look around and another test that consisted of a series of x rays of the urinary tract with some type of contrast. All were normal. I see my uroligist every four months or so. What I would like to know is that do you feel that I need more testing as it has been 2 1/2 years since the last set of tests were done. There is no history of cancer in my family as far as I know. I am now 42 years old.

Thank You,
Your work-up sounds to be quite complete but the blood in your underwear concerns me. If it is truly blood and has been occuring for months I would perform another cystoscopy to view the interior of your urethra and bladder. If this blood is only the day after sexual intercourse, then I would do a transrectal ultrasound of your prostate and possibly a semen culture (again, assuming that  this  has been going on for many months.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.