Urology Community
Cipro refill

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Cipro refill

If someone has a history of UTI's and has no health insurance, why won't a doctor give a patient a refill?  Why do I have to pay anywhere between $100 - $200 to go to the bathroom in a cup to confirm what I already know is true because I have had UTI's many times before.  At a desperate attempt, I brought all the empty bottles of cipro and other drugs prescribed for my past UTI's to show that this wasn't something I was making up.  I hoped the Dr. would give me a refill since explained I was an un-insured student and that I don't have enough money to keep coming to a doctor for them to give me the same drug that only costs $4 at Walmart.  This is not a habit forming drug like vicodin, it's an antibiotic.  Why go through this process every time, why not give refills?
Has your school a medical center? If you are a student, you can use for medical center for free? May be you show your medical record, the Dr there will refill it for you.  Good luck!
Hi there,
I really understand that you are very agitated but you must realize that antibiotics need to be taken keeping a very strict vigil for drug resistance. Drug resistance is a very dreaded consequence of antibiotic treatment.
Besides the Cipro which you were taking in the past may not be very effective for the causative organism that is involved with the UTI that you have. Probably your physician wants to do a Culture and Sensitivity test. May be that’s the reason he/she refused the refill for the medication.
If you have any further queries do get in touch with me.
Regards,
Dr Sylvester, MD
Hi, I have had a lot of infections that required Cipro. I can understand why you frustrated. I just recently had to fork over the full amount of the normally paid for medication. Here in Alberta Canada, they now have made a stupid change where a regular GP can only prescribe Cipro once a year. 75% is then paid for by health insureance. Should the patient need any more later on, only a urologist can prescribe it, in order for it is allowed to be covered by health insurance. It would indeed be easier and it would also make more sense if they just presribed it for a longer period of time.

I used to need Cirpo about every 3 to 4 months. One other thing that you have to keep in mind is the fact that a lot of antibiotics can be harmful to the digestive tract. The antibiotics kill of the the needed bacteria in the bowel. As a result of this, I now have a lot of problems with the digestive tract in the form of diareha, bloating, gas etc. Without these needed bacteria your body is also more prone to yeast infections. Yeast in itself comes with all of the different problems. Therefore if you don't really need the antibiotics you are best off not to over use them.

God bless,

Ronald