Urology Community
Circumcision problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Circumcision problems

We had my son circumsized at birth and we were told all we needed to do was keep petroleum jelly on it so it did not stick to his diaper.  Now, at almost 2 years old, the skin on the penis had adhered along the edge of the glans (glands).  Our pediatrician has told us this is not a problem, and that when he starts to get erections, it will pull apart and correct itself.  Our son gets very upset when we try to clean around the head of his penis.  I think it might be due to a small pimple-like thing at the adhesion area that we found.  With very little effort, a good amount of white cream-type stuff came out.  I assume this is smegma.  However, now the area is very red and irritated.  My husband and I are very concerned if he needs to see a pediatric urologist to have his circumcision area looked at.  Any suggestions?

~Concerned Mom~
Hi! i have just posted a similar question re: correction on the Urology Forum but had no answers so far, either. Our 1 year old does not yet show irritations, but when we try to push the foreskin back, it bleeds a bit and he is very uncomfortable. we've decided to have it corrected as soon as possible, but all the dr. we've consulted told us to wait and see if it pushes back by itself. we were also told that surgical correction should be minor. did you see a specialist in the meanwhile? We would be more than grateful to hear from your experiences. We are going to see the dr. who circumcised him in a few days, we'll try to let you know what he says if you want.
All boys are born with adhesions between the foreskin and head or glans (glands) of the penis.These adhesions normally come apart on their own between 5-18 yrs. of age.Forcibly retracting these before they naturally come apart can damage the skin causing scarring which can cause problems later in life.The best thing to do is leave the foreskin alone and never prematurely retract it.The saying "only clean what is seen" is how the penis should be treated only clean the outside of the penis like a finger.
My son has the same problem! He was circumcised at birth, and i guess the skin reattached itself as your son's did to where there was a couple of  adhesions where smegma could build up. My son too hates for me to clean it but i do it anyways. When he was born and went for his first check-up with his pediatrician she said he had a wonderful circumcision one of the best she'd seen whatever that means. And then at his 4 month check-up i pointed out the adhesions he has and she said that it was easily correctable and referred me to a urologist. We've been and he said his circumcision was incomplete, and that there is an excess of skin and he'll need to have another circumcision preformed inorder to remove the skin and correct the adhesions. He'll have to be put to sleep and it'll be a full blown operation surgery thing, i don't know if i should go ahead with it or not. It is nice to see that this is not uncommon though.
Hi I know it has been a few years since you posted here so not sure if you will even get this. My son just turned a year old and was circumcised at one day old. We were not told by the doctors or nurses to pull the skin back- all we were told was to change the gauze and apply vaseline...well now the skin has reattached to the glan(head) so only the tip is showing once we do pull it back- basically it looks like it was never circumcised. I was wondering what you decided to do for your son and how everything turned out? I've researched this so much but there is a lot of conflicting information whether to leave it alone, gently pull back or the need to have re-circumcised. I have beating myself up about this thinking I was making the right decision and now I wish it was never done.
About 96% of boys are born with adhesions.The foreskin is naturally adhered to the glans (glands) (glands) to protect it.When a circumcision is done the adhered skin is pulled from the glans (glands) (glands) much like if you pulled a fingernail off.The adhesions begin to reform as the circumcision heals.Most adhesions come apart on their own as a boy grows just like an intact boys would.
hi I Have three boys the first circumcised at 6 weeks, lots of swelling and scars. after the proceedure his penis looked like a male adult one with the head and foreskin tucked behind as he grew and got chubby the penis inverted this made the head of the penis completely hidden then over the months when i tried to push the penis out to clean it would only come out a certain amount and i then relised majority of the foreskin attached back and with the back of the head of the penis hidden behind the attached foreskin and i couldnt pull it back there was small openings here and there and white stuff built up when i tried to clean it he would cry and i couldnt get to it now he is three it is starting to pull away it is red raw but i am cleaning it with beterdine and cleaning it once a day (you dont want to fiddle with it, it can irritate it) its looking better and i never thought id see the day after taking him to dr's and them looking at me like what you on about. the second boy was born a year and a half ago his circ. was done by a better experienced Dr. was done very clean and no scarring and looked like a male adult penis with the head of the penis clear and out and the foreskin behind. he became VERY chubby and his penis went inverted and the penis attached itself but this time it attached smooth and cleanly without bumps and white stuff building up so i am going to be patient and see what happens. my new born had a circ done at one day and it looked like a male adult circumcised penis at 6 weeks it was becaming attached in parts with white build up, he is not as chubby so i was able to pull it back easily and it has came back apart so im keeping it up. try and be patient and when the nappy comes off and he is getting errections on regular basis it may encourage it to come apart. I wouldnt rush and get an operation done thats too risky and it may correct itself. I would wait to three and a half to be safe and see from there
Thanks for your answer on the penile adhesions!! My son has them. He had the "procedure" done at age 1 to pull back the skin from the top, that was a scary nightmare afterwards. The Urologist told us to keep applying Vaseline to it to make sure that the skin didn't reattach itself again. We've been doing it for almost a year now and some of the skin still reattached itself anyway. I've decided to just let it be and follow what other people are saying since he's started getting erections and am hoping it will start to correct itself over time.