Urology Community
Cloudy urine & burning urination + ED

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Cloudy urine & burning urination + ED

I am 21 years old and in good health, but approximately two years ago I began to experience something rather out of the ordinary; occasionally, while urinating, I would notice that my urine stream would go from the usual clear/yellow to a chalky/milky color. This would occur at different points - sometimes in the beginning, sometimes midstream, and sometimes at the very end of the stream.

I quickly realized that when my urine became cloudy at the very end of the stream I would be left with a burning sensation that varied in intensity, sometimes it would be almost unbearable, and sometimes it would be reasonably mild. After having this occur on several occasions I went to my family doctor and presented him with the following symptoms.

- Cloudy urine, off and on
- burning sensation throughout urethra
- a strong feeling that I needed to urinate, despite having just done so

I was given a urine test in the doctors office, and fifteen minutes later was told that my urine was clear and that I should just drink more water.

Over the next two weeks I drank enormous amounts of water... the problem continued to persist despite how much water I consumed. I went back to the doctor and explained this. I was then sent to the lab to do another urinalysis (which apparently also showed nothing out of the ordinary). Going back a third time I explained that the problem was still causing me great discomfort; this time I was given STI testing for gonorrhea/chlamydia which involved a small Q-tip being inserted into my urethra... This test also came back negative.

after living with this problem for about a year (during which time I saw several doctors, and took many urine tests - of course the problem never presented itself when it came time to urinate into the specimen cup) I began having a second problem, I noticed that my erections started to decline significantly. Instead of having hard, firm erections, I was having soft erections... and although I was still capable of climaxing, it made sex far more difficult.

The ED seemed to come and go for about six months; at around eight months it started to take far longer to achieve an erection... Now, it having been about two years since the initial symptoms, I have not been able to achieve a truly strong erection in about 4 months.

I have gone to see the doctor more than a dozen times, and have done over a dozen of the same urine tests... On my last visit (several months ago) I told my doctor that along with the urinary symptoms, I was now experiencing some erectile issues. At long last I was given a referral to a urologist. I am still about a month away from my appointment and am still experiencing the same symptoms.

Any insight into what this might be would be enormously appreciated

Hey...I have too had the cloudy urine at the end of my stream, followed by burning and discomfort! It really is uncomfortable too, I've had to be late for work because i just couldn't bear leaving and feeling like that,
I've done several urine tests all of which come back fine, and I ALSO had the swab done, which was also fine for me as well. So no real explanation other than the drink more water.
I have tried to watch my diet, cut down on smoking etc, but it still happens every once in a while. Sometimes it could be a year between "outbreaks", sometimes it will happen a few days in a row.
Oh, and it also happened to me around your age when it first started, I was around 20 (I am 30 now). I hope you find some answers, I'd love to hear what the doc says! Good luck
I've been suffering from the same condition for several years now. Similar no closure with the doctor, but thankfully, no cotton swab.

I have done some diet tests and I may be on to something. The white stream in the urine can be absent for months at a time, mostly because I do not consume much dairy. The one type of food that made me notice the condition was Indian cuisine, and I would always get the white, burning stream with butter chicken. Be it the grease and the butter, or just the butter alone, I have determined that this may be a variation on lactose intolerance. I have eaten enough in stages, on and off, to determine that the milky sensation does go away and return.

My theories as to why it is white: either the body's stomach acids react with it and it causes it to turn white or, quite simply, the portion of dairy that our body doesn't like builds up, maintaining the white colour. And it makes sense that this is a build-up, as it comes out generally at the end or beginning of urination, which suggests that it settles and layers in the bladder, either coming last or left behind and first to come out when the bladder is full again.

The very least I know is that it is diet related, and I'm fairly certain dairy related, although it does not come up in all dairy- generally just a butter issue. I can vouch for the butter relation again as I know now to scrap the dollop of butter off of pancakes that I get at restaurants, as even the tiniest amount of butter soaked into the pancakes is there in whole burning its way through my urinary tract.

As for the sexual complications, I can't say I have noticed a relation, but I will definitely look out for one.

Let me know if this was at all helpful, and if anyone has anything else to add or correct.
I have been experienceing similar symptoms for 3 years now.  Burning when urinating started for me when i was 21.  This inevitably led to some ED problems that have persisted for some time now.  I used to be able to have sex while consuming a lot of alcohol, but those days are long gone...  I have visited 5 different urologists, and none have any idea what to do.  It is very irritating to be completely honest. I have been reading up on a new treatment they are doing in china, and some doctors do it here in teh US.  It involves a considerable amount of injections of medication directly into the prostate.  From what i heard it is extremely painful, but i have grown tired of the BS associated with this problem. I will read more and let you know if i end up doing it and whether or not it works out.  Chances are you are suffering from a prostate issue...From what i can come up with i got this from a girl i was sexually active with.  Its not a disease, but rather an infection of the prostate.
The main issue with the prostate is the prostate wall makes it very difficult for antibiotics taken orally to work, which is why i am reading up on this injection method.  Drink cranberry juice right before bed, and do your best to stay away from spicy foods.  This wont cure it, but will dampen the burning sensation slightly.  Please let me know if you find anything that helps you.
I too have had these symptoms. Sometimes the burning is so bad that I have to walk it off and basically massage it for a good 30 minutes to an hour. I've been drinking nothing but water and the occasional sprite, I've been taking cranberry pills everyday and fiber. This is the most irritating problem that I've ever had. Why can't doctors figure this out? I have not had sex and I'm 23. My penis has been around that area though but never inside. So can't be std. The more I read it probably is prostitus. Who knows.