Urology Community
Complication from Iniguinal Hernia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Complication from Iniguinal Hernia?

Hello Doctor. I recently underwent surgery to repair an inguinal hernia on my left side. Before the surgery I noticed every time I tightened my abdominal muscles my left testicle would rise about an inch or two from where it was hanging. I am concerned that this caused some type of problem with the actual testicle itself. It no longer feels like it is hanging correctly at all. It feels very vulnerable, even cold at times and has tingling sensations throughout the day. It looks like it is not hanging the way it should as well. The right one feels fine and secure but the left one seems to have no stability in my scrotum. I did some research online and found that the tunica vaginalis is the structure that holds your testicles in place. Is it possible the hernia caused this structure to be damaged?

I am a week into my recovery from the hernia repair. The abdominal defect seems to be getting better but this testicle problem does not. One of the main reasons I underwent the surgery was that I thought it would cure this extreme discomfort I have been having in my left testicle. When my doctor did the open mesh repair he did find a lipoma near my spermatic cord which he told me he took care of.

At this point I really do not know what to do. Although I have no true "pain" I feel horrible. My sexual drive is almost non existent and this problem with my testicle is affecting my mental mind state a great deal. The worst part about it is nobody believes me or knows what is wrong. I am so alone with this. Any answers you have for me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Bill

I had a hernia repar on the right site in 2006 and prior to that I had surgery on the left side. After a vasectomy I ended up with a large hematoma on the left site. They removed the blood clot but this left me with an immobile testicle on the left site. This caused discomfort while working or even sitting at times. AS another complication I ended up with a Staph infection in the left testicle as there had been a small hole in the scrotum that never closed. A year later on my birthday April 26, 2000 I underwent emergency surgery to have the left testicle removed.

When I ended up with a hernia on the right site, the surgeon told me that there was a chance that I might loose the testicle as well. Luckily the surgery went well and I was able to keep the remaining testicle. The one side efect of it is, is the fact that as you said the testicle does not hang right. At times the testicle gets trapped and causes discomfort. The tesitcle is not as mobile as it used to be. For further surgery to remove scar tissue, you would run the risk of loosing the effected testicle.

For me there is the fear that the hernia repair will fail again, which is comon. Should I need to have the hernia repaired again I run the risk of loosing the remaining testicle.

I know that you don't like to hear this, but you are best to leave things the way they are.

Good luck,

Ron