Urology Expert Forum
Complications from TVT Surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Complications from TVT Surgery

I had TOT surgery for stress incontinence May 2007.  I experienced no stress incontinence for about a year.  At that point, I went back to the urogyn office and was told that the mesh had eroded into my vagina.  They did another surgery to remove the mesh.  Last week, I had TVT surgery to address the stress incontinence once again.  I woke up in the recovery room feeling HORRIBLE.  The doc didn't come by post-op; I was sent home with a substantial amount of vaginal packing and a catheter with a urine bag strapped to my leg.  I was in an enormous amount of pain that night and kept having "hot flash" like sensations.  The next morning I went back into the doc's office and she ordered an abdominal CT scan.  That showed a 8 inch wide x 3 inch high "blood clot" in my lower abdomen.  She also ordered a CBC and my hemoglobin was 10.  She said that the hematoma would resolve on it's own and that I should not take aspirin - only Tylenol.  I had another CBC 2 days later and my hemoglobin was 9.5.  She told me to take iron supplements.  My abdomen is extremely distended, there is slight cramping, and I am uncomfortable.  I am also VERY tired and need to nap alot and feel lightheaded.  Today when I sneezed, I noticed that urine did come out (this did not happen post-op when I had my first TOT surgery in 2007).   I have several questions:  Was this hematoma caused by cutting of a vein or artery during surgery?  Will it just "resolve" on it's own?  If so, how long would it normally take to resolve?  If my hemoglobin count keeps going down, at what point would I need a blood transfusion?  Can they drain the hematoma?  Could the mesh sling still be in place and be effective after the swelling/hematoma goes away?  Should I just tell her to remove the sling and deal with the stress incontinence as before?  Any other suggestions that you can give regarding treatment, recovery, and signs of problems to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks VERY much.  DC