Urology Community
Condom catheters

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Condom catheters

Hi I currently have a suprapubic catheter in due to a fistula between my prostate and rectum.
At the same time I have a problem with passing urine through the penis at times due to a neurogenic bladder.
Pads and special underware don't work as I leak to much urine. Due to that I have been using condom catheters.
The problem is that I'm an uncircumcised male and have a problem with the catheter not staying on.
In the flacid condition the penis seems to be partially hidden in body fat. When erect the penis seems to be of normal lenght. However I also suffer from Ed and this makes it hard to put the catheter on.

Are there any suggestions as to what I can do to make the catheter stay on. By the way catheter size is 28mm and seems to fit fairly well. Just as the day goes by there seems to be enough movement of the foreskin to make the catheter come loose.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron
I do understand your concerns regarding the condom catheters. There are a few precautions which must be followed while using the condom catheters. Firstly, one needs to remove the pubic hair, in case; they are interfering in the application of the catheter. Secondly, the catheter should be changed frequently, either every day or on alternate days. If there’s any leakage of urine, it should be changed promptly as urine is an irritant to the skin. I must tell that the condom catheter is one of the best ways to avoid the urine infection. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your quick reply.

It almost seems that most of the condom catheters are nt designed for uncircucised males.

I have followed the directions and keep the pubic hair away from the penile shaft and scortum. The problem seems to be that once the penis is flacid the skin becomes loose enough that it alows the skin to move more over the glans (glands). This causes the catheter to loosen from the skin.

Are there any products that work better than others?

Thanks,

Ron
I do understand your concerns about the condom catheters coming off again & again. Please be assured that you’re not the only one facing this problem and it’s extremely common. I am not aware of any special condom catheters. One needs to change them every day as I have already mentioned earlier. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Dear Doctor,

I have been able to see external catheters that are attached to the glans (glands). If I'm standing there does not seem to be much of a problem, however sitting down the lenght of the penis becomes shorter. It clains that these catheters work better for uncircumcised males or those with a retracted penis.
Is there a way to have the fat from the pubic area removed?
The next time that I'm in to obtain more catheters I will discuss other forms of external catheters.
Once again thank you for your response.

Sincerely,

Ron