Urology Community
Constant Need to Urinate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Constant Need to Urinate

I am a twenty year old female. I started having to constantly urinate when I started college - had to withdraw because of it. When I tell this to people, they look at me like I'm crazy. I'm not. I noticed that before this became a full blown problem, I would have a strong urge to urinate when I was in situations that made me nervous. Then it became that I had a strong urge to urinate all the time - nervous or not. I can't go on long car rides, don't like to meet new people or go to new places, i'm putting my education on hold all because of this and it's frustrating. I went to many doctors that told me it wasn't a medical problem. I finally went to see a urologist and he told me it's because I'm a nervous person and then prescribed me toviaz (too expensive, can't afford it). If this is all in my head, how do I change it????????

This discussion is related to Constant need to urinate.

Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but urge of frequent urination can be due to diabetes mellitus. Other possibilities are glomerulonephritis, pyelonephritis(inflammation of the kidneys),urinary tract infection, hypercalcemia, hypokalemia(low potassium),hyperthyroidism, hyperparathyroidism and diuretic drugs.

In my opinion, investigations like kidney functions, blood sugar levels, ultrasound lower abdomen ,intravenous pyelography ,prostate specific antigen blood test,thyroid function tests and cystoscopy may be needed to confirm a diagnosis. I sincerely advise you to consult a urologist or nephrologist and get yourself evaluated so that a confirmatory diagnosis can be made.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and God bless.

I am a female 52 yrs of age.  I too feel the frequent urge to urinate.  Not so much when I am at home relaxing.  As soon as I am in a public place,  I will have to go.  When I do empty my bladder, within a short time I feel like I have to go again.  This is not a urinary tract infection.  I have had those before.  I don't even really have alot of urine sometimes.  I am trying to pinpoint what makes it worse. Caffeine, alcohol and sexual intercourse seem to trigger it.  I am convinced that generally speaking, I have a sensitive system.  I have an irritation of my stomach and esophagus, hot and spicy foods burn my throat and mouth, so I have sort of concluded that  other parts of my body may be equally prone to irritation.  There is some testing you can have done to see if your bladder empties properly etc.  I was ready to have this done but canceled for now.  Was going to try to drink less coffee, tea.  What the Dr has suggested is all good but I noticed you have seen a urologist about this problem.  Were any tests performed to make him conclude you are just a nervous person?  Nerves can be a trigger or make things worse but may not be the cause. Do you pee alot when you go? or are you just getting the urge.  I cannot for the life of me think what these tests are called right now and I even had the brochure from my gynocologists office explaining what it was all about.  At least it can rule out certain things like bladder weakness and so forth.  This sounds weird but they monitor your pelvic floor muscles when you pee among other things.  It is on the internet but I just can't think what you call it.  Something like urodynamics or..........can't think of it.  I am getting close to going to a urologist or getting the testing just so I can rule out weak muscles etc.  As far a diabetes or other diseases being the cause....I get a physical every year so I get screening for many things and everything is good.  Do other members of your family pee alot?  This runs in my family also.  Good Luck.