Urology Expert Forum
Constant Urge to Urinate

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Constant Urge to Urinate

I am 21-year-old female who has had a strong urge to urinate for a week. I went to go see a doctor, who thought it might be a UTI, but my culture came back negative. They advised me to see a urologist, for which I have made an appointment for in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I would really like to see if my problem could be strictly mental and related to anxiety, of which I have a long history of (panic attacks, generalized anxiety, hypochondria etc.,) I am otherwise healthy, I do not have diabetes or anything.

Last week around Thursday, right before I went to bed, I used the bathroom and when I was finished I felt like I kind of hadn't completely emptied my bladder. I thought oh well, maybe I just have a bladder infection or something. The next day and following week I have been drinking a TON of water and fluids, atleast 4-6 of those 16 oz. water bottles per day. I visited the doctor Monday and my UTI test came back negative. I also had no pain (back or abdominal), no burning, no other symptom besides that constant urge to urinate, going to the bathroom frequently, and not really voiding all that much each time I went. My doctor asked me to come back Wednesday and after I explained my situation more suggested that maybe I tried to compensate for my supposed UTI by drinking so much water that my urinary system was essentially "backed up" and there was only so much a bladder could take, especially for someone like me who normally drinks about 1 glass of water per day instead of the huge amounts I have been drinking the past week. She advised me to reduce my fluid intake and if the problem continued, to see a urologist.

My aunt, who is a doctor, explained to me that the bladder is rich in nerves (nerve cells?) and voiding is very much a "mental" phenomena at times.

When I've used the bathroom lately, I feel like I'm urinating in a public bathroom and theres someone next to me and I can't completely void because I am self-conscious.

I've had no signs of incontience, no dripping, no loss of control...

What I want to know is:

- Is there such a thing as your bladder being backed up from too much fluid?

- Is it possible that I don't have a urological problem and it's a mental/anxiety issue that can be fixed if I stop obsessing over this "full bladder" feeling?

- What type of urological problem could I have?
Tags: Bladder
To answer your questions:
1) I am not aware of the bladder "being backed up from too much fluid" leading to urinary urgency.

2) A psychological issue can be addressed if the testing continues to be non-revealing.

3) Difficult to say without examination.  I would consider testing for metabolic diseases like diabetes or thyroid dysfunction.  A cystoscopy as well as urodynamic studies can be considered to evaluate the lower GU anatomy for any anatomical causes for your symptoms.

These options can be discussed with your personal urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0
0
0
A related discussion, CONSTANT pressure to urinate 24/7 was started.