Urology Community
Continued pain and swelling following Orchiopexy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

I am a 22 year old male.  In late November, I had an orchiopexy for suspected intermittent torsion (both of my testicles have a horizontal lie, and I have had several episodes of severe pain throughout my life).

I have experienced significant pain post surgery, especially in the left side of my scrotum.  Every evening my scrotum swells up and gets very red.  I also occasionally have severe pains in my left testicles, and along my left spermatic cord.  My left epididymis is very swollen.

According to my urologist the orchiopexy went well.  When I followed up with my urologist in mid-December he stated that he did not see anything abnormal and that I should be fine in the long term.  

Since the daily swelling, pain, and redness continued,  I sook a second opinion from another urologist.  They performed an ultrasound which showed good blood supply to both of my testicles.  The second urologist agreed that my testicles were red, swollen, and tender.  The second urologist suspected that I had epididymitis and orchitis, possibly due to the surgery.  He also noted from the ultrasound that since the surgery two spermatoceles have formed in my left epididymis (the spermatoceles were not present on my pre-surgery ultrasound).  

The urologist tried two courses of different antibiotics (first keflex for a month, and then 2 weeks of cipro).  However I have continued to have pain and swelling (the swelling and pain disappears when I lay down and go to sleep, but after a long day my scrotum is swollen and painful again).  The second urologist stated that it is possible that during the surgery the first urologist accidentally put a stitch through my left epididymis, which has caused the swelling and pain.

I have continued to have swelling and pain every day.  I have seen no improvement.  Occasionally my scrotum gets very red and painful.  

I am curious whether anyone else has had a similar experience post orchiopexy and whether there are any other opinions regarding what is causing my continued pain and swelling?