Urology Community
Cortical thinning of the kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Cortical thinning of the kidney

I had a CT scan done today while in the ER with severe lower pelvic/abdominal pain on my left side. The doctor told me my kidneys looked okay, but in the paperwork he gave me it said: "There is cortical thinning involving the upper pole of the left kidney consistent with scarring, most likely due to remote reflux or infection." What does this mean? Is it anything serious? If so why did he not mention it? Would it cause my pain on my left side? He said that it was possible I had small kidney stones, but was hard to tell because the contrast and the stones are the same color on the CT scan and they looked very small if they were stones. I am starting to think my doctor was an idiot. Just confused, and in pain still. Looking for answers my doctor didn't give.
Hi there!

Since the lesion is small it should not be anything to worry about. This likely to have occurred in the past due to a small focus of infection that has probably resulted in cortical tinning and scarring. This should not be responsible for your symptoms.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!