Urology Expert Forum
Could tailbone and bladder pain with hematuria be related?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Could tailbone and bladder pain with hematuria be related?

I'm a 38 year old male. I have been experiencing pain in my tailbone area for about 2 months. If I press on the area it is tender but I cannot pinpoint where the pain is coming from. My GP does not think that it is coccydynia related. I experience this pain daily. Sleep seems to help, I rarely wake up with the pain.

Two weeks ago I noticed that my urine was discoloured (orange). This usually happens throughout the night and first thing in the morning. It gets better throughout the day.  

A week later I noticed pain and discomfort above my pubic bone, through my groin and genitals. After a visit to the hospital (urinalysis and abdominal x ray) I learned that I had red cells in my urine.

Now I am having a burning pain above my pubic bone (bladder area and sharp pains on both sides of my groin. This is sometimes associated with scrotal and genital discomfort. Also when urinating I have a burning sensation above my pubic bone that usually lasts for a few seconds and gets better as I continue to urinate.

Can the tailbone pain be related to any bladder or kidney condition?

My GP is reffering me to a urologist and has ordered further urine tests and a PSA test. How concerning are these symptoms, should I request a referral to see a different type of specialist?
Related Discussions
233190 tn?1278553401
It is possible that the pain can be due to a GU disease.  However, it is impossible to say without examination.

Imaging can be performed to evaluate for any musculoskeletal pathology.  A CT scan and/or MRI of the area can be considered.

I agree with the urology referral.  The PSA test as well as imaging the prostate with a transrectal ultrasound can be considered.  A cystoscopy can be discussed to image the bladder for any masses.  

If the urology referral is non-revealing, you can consider an orthopedic referral to evaluate the tailbone pain.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Avatar n tn
Continue discussion Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now