Urology Expert Forum
Crystals in urine...Indicator of future stone formation? Please help!
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Crystals in urine...Indicator of future stone formation? Please help!

Several months ago, I noticed that sometimes during urination especially during the final stage (the draining of the prostatic urethra)that I see solid white crystals spill out that occassionally give my urine the appearance of milky water.
  I went to a urologist who, after ruling out any bacteriologic agent and stones, said that I probably just had a problem with my urine remaining basic or that I may be lacking a certain enzyme.  He told me that I should take Vitamin C on a regular basis and after two days of use, it fixed my problem.
  I am curious that, since I have not received a satisfactory explanation of this condition, could these "crystals" be an indicator of stone formation?  Yes, I am a medical student and I may have "med student" syndrome, but I want to know what enzyme I am lacking and if this is a serious problem that requires further attention.
  I know that Vitamin C is not fat soluble and readily excreted, which explains why the symptoms recur if I do not take the vitamin at least daily.  Could someone please just tell me what is going on and why my urologist's "cure" seems to fix the problem?
  Thanks,
  Andrew