Urology Expert Forum
Cystitis cystica

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Cystitis cystica

I am a 74 year old, healthy male whose incontinence began about 2 years ago, 10 years after a radical prostectomy. A recent pathologic diagnosis was as follows:
A. Bladder, neck, mass, biopsy:
   1. Cystitis cystica
   2. No dysplasia.
B. Bladder, neck, biopsy:
   1. Focal papillary urothelial hyperplasia
   2. No dysplasia.
Questions: 1. Could the cystitis be the cause of my incontinence?  
           2. What is the standard procedure to cure it?
1) Cystitis cystica is the appearance of the bladder wall caused by inward growth of the bladder wall layers.  It may be present in 60% of normal bladders, and would be an unlikely cause of the incontinence.

2) Chronic infections can lead to this condition.  If this is the case, antibiotics may help treat and prevent urinary infections that can help heal the bladder lining.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b